PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3/H3T Expedition Spare Parts Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Question H3/H3T Expedition Spare Parts Kit

OK, imagine your going on your dream expedition with your H3/H3T and your fitting out your spare parts kit to take on the trip. You want all the parts that you might need to fix anything that could fail along the way, but you still need to be able to carry the spares in the H3/H3T along with all your expedition gear, so light weight and compact is desirable. So where are you going, what parts would you pack and why?

P.S. I'll started a separate thread for tools so lets keep this list
spare parts.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM

As far as spare parts, I would suggest getting spare Cromoly CV-half Axel assemblies; I broke my driver's side half axel on snow in low lock.

Ive only seen them here: http://www.trailduty.com/product_inf...805250eabe0477

I thinks thats the only thing you'd need though for spares; as accesories go, I would suggest the slant back or the diamond back tonnea cover; everythin else is suspension mods or bling.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by zefrum
As far as spare parts, I would suggest getting spare Cromoly CV-half Axel assemblies; I broke my driver's side half axel on snow in low lock.

I thinks thats the only thing you'd need though for spares; as accesories go, I would suggest the slant back or the diamond back tonnea cover; everythin else is suspension mods or bling.
Thanks for the input. I'll be adding a half axle to my list. I already have the SlantBack, but I found out that with a topper you also need to seal the tail gate. I get a lot of dust on gravel and dirt works. Of course I wheel in the desert!

Just curious how did you break an axle in the snow, spinning the wheels? My Dad always said not to spin the wheels fast in the snow because you don't get any more traction spinning fast than slow and if the tires suddenly regain traction something may break.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Thats definently true about spinning your wheels. Though I was in about 1-1 1/2 ft of snow and when the tow truck whinched it out, there was about a 2" layer of compacted snow under each tire. So I think the part was already defective to begin with (shifting was always very rough before the repair)

Lots of people have had problems with the IFS; Im just super happy it was all covered under the warranty. -But if your in a desert, you may still want to rely on your own mechaniic skills.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 AM

Sounds like it was a defective part.

I've been and intend to go far beyond where tow trucks will go. The worst part is, I usually travel as a solitary vehicle. We spend most of our time digging for perdy rock is very remote places and it is difficult to find people with like interests and a capable vehicle to convoy with. If it breaks, I need to be able to fix it or hike out. I have rented an Iridium satellite phone for some trips, but I'm not sure who I would call.