PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 front suspension geometry

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 PM
Default H3 front suspension geometry

Hi everyone,

I'm new in the forum and this is my first post. I'm not a HUMMER owner (unfortunately!), so let me explain first, please, why I'm here and the technical help I need from you:

I'm finishing a master degree in mechatronics and my final project is related to the design and construction of an Unmanned Ground Vehicle (UGV) for "off-road" conditions (about 2.8m wheel base). To make things easier and affordable for us, the main plataform of the vehicle is going to be designed/built from parts taken from junked commercial trucks. We are considering Independent Front Suspension and steering capability for both ends, front and rear, and among other donnor brand/models, the H3 looks a serious candidate for the suspension mechanism.

In order to design the custom chassis and make some simulations with the front suspension, the dimentions shown in the picture attached are a key element. It's the kind of things, you know, that are not available in the technical documentation. It can only be obtained measuring the real thing.

I wonder if some of you (real owners and people experienced in the H3 facts) could help me providing some or all of these numbers. I know that, under ideal conditions, we had to have a real vehicle at hand for we to take the measurings ourself, but unfortunately that's not our present case.

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help,

Alex

Attached Thumbnails H3 front suspension geometry-hummer-h3-front-suspension-geometry.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 AM

In case you didn't consider how you will spring your suspension already, note that the H3 uses torsion bars up front. This may make it more difficult to integrate into your chassis.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:06 AM

Hum... That's a good point we haven`t realized yet. Do you consider a lower versions (I mean, H2 for instance) a more feasible choice?

What would be your advise in this regard?

Alex

Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by armr
Do you consider a lower versions (I mean, H2 for instance) a more feasible choice?
Alex
Don't be mislead by the lower number....The H2 is a larger, more expensive vehicle then the H3.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM

Thank you guys! This has been a solid lesson in just a couple of posts..!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM

The Geo Tracker and Suzuki Sidekick are the only body on frame compact 4wd trucks that I know of that have IFS front suspensions with coil springs. Instead of double A-arms, they use a strut setup. Their fully boxed frames would also make it easy to cut and splice together to meet your 2.8 meter wheelbase goal.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 AM

what city, state do you live in?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to your replays.

Honestly, after receiving your first comments, you quickly made start touching facts that pushed my mind in the direction pointed out by NJTEX. I mean, I have been opening my mind to another donnor alternatives, easier to adapt to our goal (and perhaps even cheaper in the junk market...). I have been playing -theoretically, I mean- with the chevrolet tracker as a potential choice. Have not yet all the elements to take a final decision, but things are gettig on that way.

I really want to have the IFS/IRS with coil springs, the double A-arm version. We feel it will perform in a more gentle way for all the Electronics the vehicle will carry on board. Yes, I know about many people's non positive opinion in relation to the off-road performance of this type of suspension, but reallistically speaking, the off-road conditions and stress our vehicle will experience is gonna be very different (less rough, less heavy) of that experienced for a race truck driven by a human pilot.

So that's the point I am standing on at present. As usual, very welcomed and appreciated in advance your comments.

Oh, by the way: I'm not living in the States, but in Mexico city (since 2004). It makes thins more difficult for we to get parts, but anyway...

Thanks again,

Alex

Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 PM

Good luck with your project armr! Fully independant suspension works very well off-road too when combined with 4-wheel traction control as with H3 and M-Class.