PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Front end Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Default H3 Front end Noise

I have a noise in my wifes H3's front end that I can not find! Sounds like a bearing going bad (Swish Swish Swish) like metal rubbing. So far I replaced both front wheel bearings and a complete 4-wheel brake job. Sound has not changed. Truck is a 2008 with 57000 miles, no off roading. Wonder if it could be a differential problem and are they known for this? There was some rotor noise and it needed pads thats why I had the brake work done but that was not the noise I am hearing. Gets louder when you accellerate and stops when the truck is stopped.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Moved: This is not even close to an FAQ, so this has been moved to the H3 section where someone might be able to help you.

Take a look: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...section-19461/

Now that we are in the right place, have you looked at the half shaft CV boots?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Would'nt the CV shaft clunk or pop when turning if it was bad? I do not have any noise like that. Its is more of a metalic swishing sound and it is definately something new, wasnt there before. And again the is no brake or rotor issue everything has been changed.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 PM

Just acquired the same problem sounds like water swishing around and as I speed up it gets louder when I stop it stops. Also, my brakes used to be real tight and then I hit this huge puddle and all of sudden they lost pressure?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 PM

Best thing to do is lift the truck, support both front and rear axles (4- HD jack stands, work great) wheels OFF the ground. Start vehicle, put into drive... go to the noise, if unsure, use a mechanics stethoscope:

If you dont have a stethoscope, grab a long plastic handle tool, screwdriver for an example:

Put the handle end of the screwdriver into 1 ear, and the tip end, around the noise (don't touch moving parts)..... Listen around at different NON MOVING parts, and find where the noise is the ((((((LOUDEST)))))))

Report back on your findings, for further assistance.

Last edited by hummerz; 08-01-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM

Noise doesn't start unless I'm moving in which it be virtually impossible to check with a mechanic stethoscope.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by themean1490
Noise doesn't start unless I'm moving in which it be virtually impossible to check with a mechanic stethoscope.
On "jack stands, wheels off the ground, in drive"= Wheels are moving!

I do this all the time (except I use electric lifts), looking for noises for customers... Works like a charm!

BTW, you can get 4 HD jack stands & a good quality floor jack at Sears, for the same price my shop would charge you to diagnose that noise!

4 ton professional jack stands 26.99pair x2

2-1/2 ton floor jack $53.99

Last edited by hummerz; 08-01-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM

Duhh what was i thinking yeah i have jacks and plenty of stands. Even though now my problem is bad I went up this steap enbankment where I basically bottomed out at the frame and everything hit the pile of dirt the truck all of a sudden stalled out? Then I was driving back down the hill after I got out of there and about 4 times it stalled and I could barely use the steering wheel like it locked up.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by themean1490
Duhh what was i thinking yeah i have jacks and plenty of stands. Even though now my problem is bad I went up this steap enbankment where I basically bottomed out at the frame and everything hit the pile of dirt the truck all of a sudden stalled out? Then I was driving back down the hill after I got out of there and about 4 times it stalled and I could barely use the steering wheel like it locked up.
Get that rig up in the air,(be sure to secure it safely, before going under, give it a good solid shake or 2!!!!!!) and look underneath. Bent, broken, damaged, parts? Debris that don't belong there? Your power assist steering will get tight when it shuts down, belt slipped on the pump, check the steering gear for debris.. Stalling out? Did you get a check engine light?

Old 08-03-2012, 01:22 PM

I had a noise coming from my front end not too long ago. Ended up being my front differential. Hopefully your problem isnt as serious.

Quick Reply: H3 Front end Noise