PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 fourth Tow Loop

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Default RE: H3 fourth Tow Loop

What'd you do to the frame behind the bumper to get it to mount up.. I stuck my head under there when routing my CB Coax and noticed there was no mounting plate welded to the frame like on the other3 shackles.. Ifthat 4th shackle is bolted just to the bumper and not bolted directly to the frame (through the bumper), I'd almost be willing to bet you hook anything to it and give it a goot hard yank and either the hook will rip out of the bumper or the bumper will get ripped off the truck..

Old 06-01-2007, 10:59 AM

Chrome I can do with out

What did you put behind the bumper? Did you weld in a bracket to match the right side? Did you flatten out the bumper or cut a hole?

I think the Adventure model should have come with 2 tow hooks on the rear and a better place for the license plate.

I have thought about putting the licensce plate on the door or spare tire

Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Crash

Ifthat 4th shackle is bolted just to the bumper and not bolted directly to the frame (through the bumper), I'd almost be willing to bet you hook anything to it and give it a goot hard yank and either the hook will rip out of the bumper or the bumper will get ripped off the truck..
x1000

Old 06-01-2007, 03:03 PM

First off, my H3 is a base model without the towing package. I'm not sure if my frame bracket or license bracket would work on one with the factory hitch. I use a front license plate frame from a Colorado and cut it down. I attached it with two straps that hook over the rear bumper step. Bought a license plate light assy from Advanced Auto and bolted it to the license plate frame. Made an electrical plug that fit into the factory light plug with a jumper. Removed the existing license plate bolt snap nuts and replaced them with 2 GM (christmas tree) body plugs. I layed out the tow loop bolt holes and drilled( 2) 1/2" holes in the bumper
Since the rear bumper is not stamped for a tow loop on the left side, I had to make a steel shim so the tow loop would set level on the bumper.I also cut a 1/8" rubber gasket to protect the bumper.
Attaching it to the frame required a welded bracket. On the frame you will see a 2" x 2" square hole. I took a piece 2" square stock ( same as used on a hitch sleeve) and welded ell brackets
to each side that meet the tow hoop bolts. It is in two pieces that bolts through the center. Sorry I don't have better pics. I used 7/16"
stainlees steel grade 8 bolts on everything.
Tarheel 34, I live in eastern Kanawha county

Well tried to upload some pics, it says the file is to large

Old 06-01-2007, 04:27 PM

There ya go..

Old 06-03-2007, 06:59 PM

Not to far from ya... I live in Mingo Co.