PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Engine Required.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Default H3 Engine Required.

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I'm looking for some advise. I have a 2008 H3 with a 3.7 ltr standard engine. The engine needs replacing as there is a fist size hole out the sump with a conrod showing. Has anyone experienced the same failure ? or heard of such a thing happening in these engines ? what is the cause ?

I'm from Australia and 3.7 H3 motors here seem pretty hard to find, so I'm writing to ask some advise on where I could purchase a (reliable) recondition or new motor from in the states. From everything I have read the 3.7 seems to have its fair share of problems, is there a diesel replacement engine that can go into the H3 without too many hassles? What is the correct name of the engine ? I've heard it called Vortec 3700, LLR and so on, is there a specific part number ?

Any advise would be appreciated it.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Here in the US we only had 3 engines stock - the '06 3.5, '07+ 3.7, and the '08+ 5.3l Alpha v8. No diesel options, the general public here seem to think all diesel engines are loud, dirty, crappy things only to be found in semis and full size trucks used to haul huge trailers. I have heard conflicting stories on how hard it is to swap a v8 into an '08+. I've never looked into it so I can't tell you how hard or $$ it is, but if my i5 blows up this is the first option I'll be checking into. Wish I could help more.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 AM

You could search "salvage" in the US and find used engines. Shipping could be bad.

Here is just one random example.
http://www.automotix.net/usedengines...2dcf1528300baf

The V8 in a I-5 model might be tough.
The story is they not only widened the frame where the motor mounts are but also pushed back the firewall some to fit it in. So some fabrication skills would be involved. There were a couple of articles about that at the time.

Last edited by Hunner; 01-07-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM

There's not a lot of 3.7 major failures reported here. Where do you hear that a well oiled 3.7 is not reliable?

I consider it a good match for the H3,ideal .

Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hunner
The V8 in a I-5 model might be tough.
The story is they not only widened the frame where the motor mounts are but also pushed back the firewall some to fit it in. So some fabrication skills would be involved. There were a couple of articles about that at the time.
I've heard that side. I've also read where starting in '08 the widened frame and modified firewall were done on EVERY H3 making the swap a bit expensive but not terribly difficult for a good shop. I don't know what to believe, both sides sound "for sure" in their answers.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks guys for the reply. I spoke to a guy in Australia yesterday (selling H3 3.7 motors) who said there are 2 versions of the 3.7 engine, here in Australia the H3 2007 3.7 is different to the 2008 H3 3.7, this is a link to the motor for sale

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

I went to buy the motor but he was certain that there are 2 version of the engine. From the ebay pics the motor looks identical to the one in my H3, so I'm a little confused. Is there a way to tell which motor from a Vin number ? My Vin number is ADMDN13E184430840 , any further advice would be really appreciated.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
There's not a lot of 3.7 major failures reported here. Where do you hear that a well oiled 3.7 is not reliable?

I consider it a good match for the H3,ideal .
Hi, your probably right, I guess when you start looking for a motor for your truck and you tell someone what happened to it, you seem to hear nothing but bad stories. I plan to put a 3.7 back into my H3, thanks again for the reply.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 AM

The H3 was launched with a 3.5 liter straight-5 cylinder L52 engine that produced 220 hp (160 kW) and 225 lbf·ft (305 N·m) of torque and was mated to a standard five-speed manual transmission or an optional Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic transmission. This an imaging power of a car

Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Depending on the year of the 3.7L I5 the engine management systems will be different. Some will have an ECM and TCM while others will have a PCM which combines the functions of the other 2.

Good luck with your hunt. Quite a few H3s made there way to AU via the South African assembly plant. I have no idea if the Canyon and Colorado where ever imported there. If so, they would be another source for the I5.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by H3Australia
....is there a diesel replacement engine that can go into the H3 without too many hassles? ...
I mean...you could always go this route if you pooped money.
Diesel H3

Send it here, ship it back. Mucho hassle. There was another shop that did diesel swaps in Kansas I think.. I forget.

I dunno man, $6,000 is a sizable chunk of a used H3 if you could sell yours and go for a used one.

Quick Reply: H3 Engine Required.