PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Driver side door locks with key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Angry H3 Driver side door locks with key in ignition

I have a 2010 H3 Alpha that (except for this) runs well. Whenever I get out with the key in the ignition (running or not) and close the driver's side door, that door locks. The other 3 doors remain unlocked. This is especially annoying when valet parking, running back into the house for a second, and overall daily life.

I brought it to a dealer who ran their software checks and said there was nothing they could do. I then went to a mechanic who also couldn't come up with an answer beyond "it's something you'll have to live with."

Anybody else have this problem, or know of a fix? Thanks.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 AM

you tried the stuff in the instruction book about lock/ unlock choices huh?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
you tried the stuff in the instruction book about lock/ unlock choices huh?
This is for sure a malfunction and is not covered in the Owner's Manual.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yo Pete.... whazzzzz up?

Question: Do you still have the crappy OEM battery terminal connectors? If you do, search out some of the many threads on why to hack them off ASAP and get a quality aftermarket set.

You likely have had a voltage variation that has caused some kind of BCM or PCM brain fart. I would start by disconnecting the Positive battery terminal for 3-4 minutes, and then hook it back up ans see what you have. Of course if you were going to change out to aftermarket battery terminals, just do it then.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM

Hey Doc, RK and Happy:

Thanks for the quick replies. Owner's manual useless for this. Doc, as far as I know it still has the original battery terminal connectors -- I'll try your suggestions. Thank you, you're the only one who's offered hope outside of this forum.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:21 PM

you tried the stuff in the instruction book about lock/ unlock choices huh

I understand the problem. a simple first thing,zero cost and effort is try the instruction.
then unhook batt,clean and tighten the conn.

those stock conn are fine if used properly.
trouble starts when heavy handed guys bend them!

Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 AM

I noticed a similar issue but it is intermittent. I usually notice it when I get out to fill up at the gas station and realize the driver side door is locked with the keys in the ignition. So far I have been lucky and the rear driver side door is unlocked. I also try to remember to roll down the driver side window or leave the door open just in case. I haven't taken it to the dealer to see if they have heard of the issue before.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 AM

I tried the disconnect the positive terminal per Doc's advice --- so far so good. Not sure why, but it seems to have done the trick. THANKS

Old 02-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Default Back to Square One

The battery terminal disconnection was short lived. I am now officially locked out again. Anybody? Buhler?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:54 AM

If you ever get to the bottom of this, PLEASE share.

Quick Reply: H3 Driver side door locks with key in ignition