PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 as daily driver questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Default H3 as daily driver questions

Hey folks,

My wife and I are considering getting the Hummer H3. We test drove one and really loved the way it rides and how it handles. We understand the concerns about engine power but it's not a concern for us (we have a Charger R/T so if we want to go fast--we've got it covered). My biggest concern is the full-time 4 wheel drive. Is this a concern if I'm using this as my daily driver vehicle? I only drive about 5 miles to work so I won't be piling on the miles.

Any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM

That may be why you like how it handles so much. Ours in my wife's daily driver and when I get in it and a chance to drive it , I feel like I am in a sports car becasue it grips and handles so nice compared to my cumbersome Silverado 2500HD Crew. H3 turns on a dime, my truck on about a $1.50...LOL

No downside that I know of, especially when "nice" weather only applies to half the year.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 PM

Mine is a daily driver as well. I've had 0 issues.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PhenyxH3
Mine is a daily driver as well. I've had 0 issues.
X2

Best Truck I have ever owned, does everything I need. It would be nice to have the H3T bed a few times per year.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Our H3x has become our everyday car. Now, it's not like I'm used to driving a Mercedes, but the H3x is the most luxurious, stable, and fun car I've ever owned. Just this morning, I was taking the kids to a field trip and took a short cut on a dirt road. This road used to make me nervous with the van, but this morning I was purposely driving into the worst parts (deep, loose sand) just for the heck of it. And once I was back on pavement, it went right back to being a luxury car again

The only drawback I can think of is the tread noise can be a little loud. But that's what the Monsoon sound system is for, right?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by cliffaddy
The only drawback I can think of is the tread noise can be a little loud. But that's what the Monsoon sound system is for, right?
If it bothers you, there are tires that take care of that. What type do you have on it now?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Mine is a daily driver and I love it. I went from a 07 Jeep Wrangler to an H3 and cant say i miss it. Had to get this cause we got a newborn and the jeep wasnt the safest nor smoothest ride.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:01 PM

mine is my daily driver and I love it. I traded in an Escalade and have no regrets

Old 10-19-2010, 06:46 PM

Mine is also a daily driver. I came to the H3 from a Tahoe which got totaled ... another issue.

Anyway, the H3 fits very nicely in the garage but it is smaller than the Tahoe. I just have to make sure about the items I carry in the back. I had everything plus the kitchen sink in the Tahoe. Now I need to reconsider that plan.

I like the H3. I would love to find a low mile Alpha for a sweet price, but I really have no complaints with the I5. Mine has been nicely reliable.

Forgot to add... the Hummer pisses off the "greenies" (aka Hybrid snobs) We have a few of those in Colorado. (remember the South Park episode about the smug attitudes...)

Last edited by DJINCO; 10-19-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Thumbs up

I traded an 04 Range Rover HSE for my H3 so needless to say I was expecting A LOT from my Hummer and it delivers! I like the ruggedness of the Hummer better than the luxury of the Range Rover. The RR was cool to look at, but all the extra gadgets and air suspension made me nervous that something would go out and cost $K,XXX. With the Hummer I have no worries about anything breaking. It's a beast! Plus, I got the luxury package so I still have that feel on the inside with the heated seats and extra options, but the rugged Hummer look on the outside. I only drive my Hummer a few days per week because I have a work vehicle and a 4cyl car for driving around if I want to save gas on my days off. Also, my wife has a sports car so we have all bases covered. I wouldn't hesitate to drive my H3 every day. Matter fact, I would prefer it, but I'll stick with the free vehicle/gas from work.

Quick Reply: H3 as daily driver questions