PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Chrome Wheels corroding

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Default H3 Chrome Wheels corroding

My wife has a '07 H3 that we had for two year lease and then I bought it out since GM offered me a great price. We love the H#, however just recently since it appears Winter is over I was cleaning the tires and applying the meguires gel I use to shine them up. I noticed that all of the rims have some small corrosion spots beginning. We take excellent care of the truck and wash it regularily. Especially with the salt Michigan dumps on the roads in the winter.
Has anyone else experienced corrosion on their chrome wheels? I took it to the dealer this morning and they said they have not had any vehicles come in with this issue. So I wonder if its just our wheels, or am I more of a critic and expect them to fix something like this. Without issue they said they would order five new rims to replace under warranty. But I am curious if this is a common problem or if anyone here has experienced this.

Also mentioned the "rusting' of the hook bolts. They said all they would do is remove and paint them. Working for one of the largest auto suppliers in the US I find this hard to believe as acceptable. If my products corroded or rusted like this definate preventative action would be taken. Fortunate for warranty, but I think I will handle the rusting bolts on my own to avoid time at the dealership.

Appreciate any comments or responses regarding similar issues.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM

I have just recently purchased a H3X with chrome wheels/rims and they are corroding pretty bad. Mostly on the inside area though the outside is still pretty shiny. When I got mine I looked at the space and it had all pitt marks on it, I asked them to detail it so the kid at the place said they would not come out but he cleaned it with acid and it looked 90% better. But acid can also damage them if you leave it on too long. I noticed some rusting too underneath some bolts near the wheels are rusty. I think the person who owned it before me had it on the beach allot and I guess the salty air caused this. I found traces of sand on the interior. But I agree they should not corrode this easy!!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 PM

heres my conclusion, salt and crap is part of the problem the other is brake schrapnel fuses itself to the rim. cheap brake pads will do it.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM

If you live in an area where it commonly snows, the road crews probably use magnesium chloride as an ice melter. This crap (commonly called mag chloride) is highly corrosive!! It will play hell on plastic, chrome, aluminum and steel. You can reduce the effects by washing often. Yeah, try doing that when its 5 degrees below zero!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by tfhagen
If you live in an area where it commonly snows, the road crews probably use magnesium chloride as an ice melter. This crap (commonly called mag chloride) is highly corrosive!! It will play hell on plastic, chrome, aluminum and steel. You can reduce the effects by washing often. Yeah, try doing that when its 5 degrees below zero!
Michigan uses rock salt, and lots of it. But even in the cold of winter I still run the car through the wash to get the salt off of it. Regardless of how cold it is, just dry off door seals after.

Whoever supplies these rims I have a hard time believing they passed all of the strict corrosion tests etc that most vehicle components go through. Right now they are replacing mine under warranty, and any additional signs of corrosion I will do the same.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 AM

Wow! I have an '07 H3X w/chrome wheels. I guess I need to inspect them closer!!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM

There is a set of these on eBay right now and they also have rust spots on the back of them.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM

Maybe it is fairly common for them to corrode. Hwoever I still do not think it is acceptable. So I figure I will have them replaced any time its under warranty and the corrosion appears. The dealers bill General Motors and in turn GM charges back whatever supplier manufactures the rims. They should just build quality rims and pparts and industry would not be where it is today.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:06 PM

Hummer replaced all 5 rims under warranty. The first 4 came in a couple weeks ago and the 5th (spare) had damage so they had to order a new one. That rim came in today and Hummer took the spare off and put new rim on tire. Kind of a pain going back and forther to dealer for this, but all in all it was worth it and the rims are nice and shiny. The way Chrome is suppose to be without the corrosion and pits.

I will monitor them through this next winter and as long as it is under warranty, any issue I will again have them replace them. No one should pay the price for the upgrade Chrome wheels and have to accept corrosion.

If you have the issue I would take to your dealer and request they replace them.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting.

I too am in MI. I DO NOT wash my truck from Nov. 1, through March 1 at all. Unless we get one of them fluke days where the temp is about 40F, then I'll wash it in the driveway. I clean my rims one time every year in March with never dull and meticulously get in between every spoke and get all the rotton nooks and crannies.

My wheels look great.

There have been some studies that show that repeated washing, even at the spray wash, accelerates salt corrosion. The water with freezing temps kicks in the salt. If the salt residue is dry, it has much less of a corrosion factor?