PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 - Chevrolet or Real Hummer ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:06 PM
Default RE: H3 - Chevrolet or Real Hummer ??

That sales guy is a stupid jerk.

Sure it would be nice to up-sell to a more expesive model but why bad mouth any of the products in the GM line?

Not everyone wants or can afford an H2

The salesman should help you get the vehicleyou want and keep you from walking off the lot unhappy with your experience with that dealer or brand.

Take a look at the book on the H3 (Hummer H3 by Larry Edsall) that shows the engineering, design and testing of the H3 and you will see that went into the H3.

That book and seeing it in person and a test drive sold me on the H3

Old 09-28-2007, 12:10 PM

The H3 has 10% of its parts common to the Colorado pickup. They take the frame, add additional crossmembers to it to make it stronger, and then they use different suspension parts on the frame than is used on the the Colorado. The H3 uses the I5 engine. All other parts are H3 only. It is made in Shreveport La, at the same GM plant that makes Colorado's and GMC Canyons.

The H2 is similar construction, it is built on a Tahoe frame.

It is as much a Hummer as the H2 is. It is not a Colorado. I had a 05 Colorado Z71 4x4. The H3 is a completely different truck.

This info is from the H3 book, Hummer H3 by Larry Edsall,that I got at my dealer. All H3 owners should get this book. It details the H3 story from the concept vehicles, the engineering, and the off road testing of the H3at Moab, and on the Rubicon, and the assembly at the plant. It is sold on Amazon.

I have owned a 06 H3, and now have a 07. The Hummer dealers that I have been to would fire a salesman who belittled the H3. It is over 80 % of thier sales.

My H3 is going to Moab Tuesday. I would never have taken the Colorado.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: hfuglaar

The H3 has 10% of its parts common to the Colorado pickup. The take the frame, add additional crossmembers and use different suspension parts on the frame than the Colorado uses, and the H3 uses the I5 engine. All other parts are H3 only. It is made in Shreveport La, at the same GM plant that makes Colorado's and GMC Canyons.

The H2 is similar construction, it is built on a Tahoe frame.

It is as much a Hummer as the H2 is. It is not a Colorado. I had a 05 Colorado Z71 4x4. The H3 is a completely different truck.

This is from the H3 book, Hummer H3 by Larry Edsall,that I got at my dealer. All H3 owners should get this book It details the H3 story from the concept vehicles, the engineering, and the off road testing of the H3at Moab, and on the Rubicon, and the assembly at the plant. It is sold on Amazon.

I have owned a 06 H3, and now have a 07. The Hummer dealers that I have been to would fire a salesman who belittled the H3. It is over 80 % of thier sales.

My H3 is going to Moab Tuesday. I would never have taken the Colorado.
To nitpick on your Tahoe comment, the H2 does not use a "Tahoe" Chassis as it's so commonly referred to, it has a 2500 rear end, 1500 front end and a custom box frame chassis connecting the ends. The only commonality is that they both use award winning components from the Silverado and based on those winning components they custom design around those. It would be more accurate to call it a Silverado more than anything else... and since the Escallade uses also similar componets... we might just as well call it a rebadged Escallade

I think one thing people forget is the fact that the H1 isn't all AM General exclusive either, for instance, the ignition is a ford Festiva (correct me if I'm wrong here) and a huge portion of the parts are from other companies such as ford, gm, etc.

I agree with the notion that the guy should be fired, anyone bad mouthing a product they should be selling deserves to lose their job, especially when the infromation is ill-informed and incorrect. I would file a complaint with the dealership.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 PM

That salesman is a clasic example of someone who has just enough information to be (stupid) dangerous[:@]

Old 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM

What an @sshole!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 PM

I love my H3 but it has no kinship with AM General whatsoever, it is all GM. I even wrote to AM General asking this question and was told the same thing. The H2 is built as a joint venture between AM General and GMand the H1 is all AM General. HUMMER seems to be more of a brand name than a builders plate but when it comes to trucks I'd rather have GM build it than AM General.

Speaking of HUMMER...TheH1 is NOT a HUMVEE, I've driven both and spent WAY too much time in a "real" HUMVEE's. So what if the H3 uses a GM Engine, so does the H2! And look under the hood of a H1, yep, GM!

For those of you who didn't know GM has been making Army Trucks for years, we called them Cut-Vees for short. They were just plain old GM trucks with a diesel and extra heavy duty everything but all US Army and all GM. GM and AM General have been playing in the same Government sandbox for years, it's only natural that they play footies under the table in civilian life too.

Visit http://www.amgeneral.com/, you'll see they make HUMVEES, H1's, kinda make H2's but don't make any part of an H3. This doesn't mean that an H3 isn't a HUMMER, it just means that the H3 is not a AM General HUMMER but a GM HUMMER, also a maker of tough Army Trucks.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:56 PM

Remember that a GM brand (Buick) has the best reliability in the industry. I would much rather have my H3 built in a GM plant (routinely rated the best in the industry) than an AM General plant. My H3 is incredible and bears very little resemblance to my old Colorado (which was a great truck in its own right).

Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM

I test drove an H3 at another dealership and thought it was a cool vehicle, I was very impressed when I compared it to the H2 SUT we already own. It is more nimble and zips in and out of a parking spaces and traffic with ease. I told this new saleman what I was told at the other dealership and while he didagree that theColorado, Canyon and the H3 are built in the same plant he did say that it was just GM making the best advantage of the assembly plants and allowing the H3 to be cost effective as well.He said that GM designed the H3 to take advantage of some of the parts that were used in other GM vehicle but that was strictly to reduce cost. But GM never considered using less expensive partsfrom other GM vehicle that would reduce the ability of the H3. I was surprised when he appologized for the other dealer salemans and wanted some additional info so he could pass this situation onto GM. He even mentioned that a V8 was in the H3's future if I was willing to wait for it. My final impressions are as follows: 1:The H3 is not a Colorado reborn (other than build by GM in the same plant and maybe some minor parts), 2:the H3 is not an H2 and it was never intended to be. This is not to say the H3 is less capable, it was targeted to those who wanted a Hummer in a somewhat fuel efficient alternative that was smaller and perhaps easier to drive and use day to day. In todays world with gas issues, smaller parking spots and a public that considers the H1 and H2 to be nothing but fuel hogs it seems the H3 is arespectiful alternative. About the only drawback to the H3 was the roof height, being 6'4" the ceiling comes up fast. But this is overcome if you are willing to adjust the seat back down a little. Think I am going to buy it, now all I need to do is agree on the color with my wife. Thanks to all who replied and offered their points of view, it was very useful!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Find a new dealer.... buy your H3.... go back to that dealer and tell him he is a ****ing douche satchel....

(satchel was used because there was an incident the last time someone used bag)

Old 09-29-2007, 07:34 PM

Post some pics once you get your H3.

Quick Reply: H3 - Chevrolet or Real Hummer ??