PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Default H3 Camshaft Position Sensor

Pardon me if this has been discussed in another thread, but I can't seem to find much on this subject. After thinking I had a bad head on my 2006 H3 (38K miles), I started researching posts here and on other sites. One thing I ran across was the camshaft position sensor with disentegrating screens. (there is a factory TSB on this) Symptoms: (rather sudden onset) very rough idle, loss of power, horrible fuel economy (like 50 miles per 1/4 tank = 10-12 MPG avg.) low torque, struggles to tow trailer, etc. The idle was so rough that the air filter box rattled LOUDLY and the steering wheel shook, etc. This morning, I went out and removed the sensor to check if the screens were in fact missing or damaged. As it turns out, they are not. While it was out, I clean it with carb cleaner and reassembled. I am happy to say that the rough idle is all but gone, power is restored. The jury is still out on fuel economy though. It is too early to tell if in fact that is/was the problem, but time will tell. I also went and bought a code reader to the tune of $130 because the check engine light had come on right about the time all this started. There are no codes stored in the vehicles on-board computer.

I'd be curious to know who else has encountered this problem and if they have considered the CPS as a possible culprit.

Last edited by keystone; 09-15-2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: image view
Old 09-15-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks for that post! May be very helpful for others in the future.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Default update

I just wanted to add a note to my previous post, I am not 100% satisfied that I fixed the vibration and loss of power issue. Taking out and cleaning the CPS did make a very noticeable difference however. There is still some vibration at idle, but it does not seem nearly as 'violent' as before. I am not ruling out the fact that the CPS could just be defective even though the screens are still in tact. If the problem doesn't go away 100% during the next tank of gas, I will replace the CPS. If that doesn't solve the issue, then it's going in the shop for a head evaluation. Over-all, the H3 is running fairly well with new cold air intake, K&N high flow filter and new Bosch platinum Ir Fusion 4 conductor plugs, fresh oil change and now having removed (possibly reset) and cleaned the CPS. I will post the results after I fill up and run a tank of gas.

Last edited by keystone; 09-15-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo