PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 brakes problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:29 AM
Default H3 brakes problem

Hi guys,
I´ve a problem with the brakes of my H3. It now has 32.000 km (20.000 miles) and I have to say I use it a lot for offroading. About 10.000 miles were offroad as I also rent it for offroad trainings that I arrange.
Well, since a few days the brakes make a sanding noise even when I don´t brake as if the brake doesn´t release completely. And when I brake the npoise gets louder and it becomes kind of a bumping sound. I also felt that the brakes discs become veeeery hot after driving a longer distance.
Does anyone have the same problems?
Thanks,
Daniel

Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: H3 brakes problem

Have you removed a wheel to do an inspection? Is it front brakes or rear, if you can tell? How much pad do you have left? You may want to spray wash the wheels from the outside, and then from inside/under the truck to clean out any dust or grit, do a test drive, then remove a wheel to see what kid of pad you have left. If you have a caliper defect you may have a sticking piston that as you say is causing brake drag??? Should be covered under warranty if it is a bad caliper/brake defect, but DO NOT mention renting the truck!!!!!!!

If you see anything unusual, feel free to post a pic. You have a problem of some sort. Brake discs get hot, that much is normal.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 AM

Not probable but you may have embedded something in your brake pad(s).Pads do drag slightly and could account for the noise.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:10 AM

it could also be a collapsed or pinched brake line not letting the fluid retun properly or the proportioning vave also not letting the fluid return fast enough but more than likely with only that many kms it could be the sliders on the calipers are dirty or rusted if it has seen alot of mud holes.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Have you been in deep mud or sand?

I'm not sure but does theparking brake usea drum system? Maybe some sand is in there?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:14 AM

somting ant white.....................thats what the little japanese guy that i workwith says a lot,he makes me laugh

Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Hey, thank you for your fast answers. I don´t know if it´s the front brakes or rear. I didn´t have time to look at it, but at the weekend I will remove the 4 tires and inspect it all. Yes, I was in deep sand, but that was about a year ago in the Sahara and I recently (last weekend) was in deep mud. If you want you can watch the pics at my homepage: www.4wd-training.de
Thanks again,
Daniel

Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM

I hate to refer to another site but it's good info:
http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/vie...=25&t=5354

My brakes are doing this and I had no idea what was causing it until I read this post.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

ReelJeep; that's good info, and why I asked if it was front or rear brake noise. danist is not sure where it's coming from?? I've never had that rear brake noise, yet.

I have experienced something different and wonder if anyone else has. If backing up, and you slam on the brakes, I can get a distinctive clunk on occaision, sounds just like you hit something right as you stop. Pretty loud too? Happened first time at a supply house, I was backing up and a fork lift came out of nowhere, I nailed the brakes and........CLUNK......... I thought oh sheoot I bounced off the forklift. Got out and didn't hit anything. Guy on the Hi Lo was looking at me like I was nuts?? Again in a parking lot when someone behind me started to back up just after I did. Thought I hit something it was so load, but nothin? Probably Caliper slop with some play thru the slider pins, IDK?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Hi Doc, My friends Dodge Power Wagon did that same thing and after exhaustive research we determined it to be a phenom called torque spring wrap or just spring wrap. We got rid of some of it by putting a breaker bar on his U Bolts on the spring packs but that didn't solve it. The only way it could really be solved in his case was to go to a traction bar set up. Since yours is only doing it in reverse I'd look at the spring hangers first and see if they're loose. IMO when the springs get worn and lose some of their tensile strength they get prone to "wrapping up" when a sudden forward or rearward thrust is put on them. I may be wrong but it's the best I got.

Quick Reply: H3 brakes problem