PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 Base Model good enough for off-roading?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 03:32 AM
Default RE: H3 Base Model good enough for off-roading?

Another option is to have your dealer install the locker. It would cost more then a winch, but would be more useful in more situations. Nothing sucks worse than pulling out the winch cable and finding an anchor just to move about 2 feet.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

So you don't need a different rear axle? It's just an add-on? I wonder how much that would cost.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

So you don't need a different rear axle? It's just an add-on? I wonder how much that would cost.
Need I say more???

Old 08-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Nope. That says it all!

Old 08-15-2006, 02:03 PM

there are multiple possibilities if you want a rear locker. Buy the parts and have an off road shop or any qualified mechanic install it (cheaper than the stealership) or get an aftermarket locker, I always used arb air locking diffs, you can also look into Detroit, Gleason and TrueTrac differentials. They are all good.

Old 08-15-2006, 05:18 PM

I've been thinking about this and honestly I don't ever remember needing the lockers on my other trucks, just practice using BTM (brake throttle munipulation) and you will keep up with any h3 adventure.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 PM

I suggested the rear locker because all of the parts are off the shelf, and there shouldn't be any modifying necissary like there would for an ARB. All you would need from the dealer is the differential, switch assembly and a wiring harness, or you could make your own. The benifit to making your own would be to have the ability to lock the diff in high range, assuming the switch assembly doesnt require it to be in low. As for differential options, this would probably be the cheapest, but still more expensive than a winch. As for TBM, I've never had good luck with that. I still wind up having no forward motion, but now with added brake wear.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 AM

Linus,

Those are all great points, but there is one major factor that was overlooked. Price... I would venture to say that something like an ARB would be half the cost (if not even less) than what the dealership would want for the unit & install. The ARB should require no more mods than the factory unit either .. both will need some form of activation be it electric or air, and both will need the locker installed into the diff., and both will need a switch. The only difference is that the ARB will require a compressor. But if the ARB comes out to 900.00 all said and done vs. 2000.00 or more, that is something to take into account. There may be other aftermarket lockers that are electric that could work, and probably for less money.

An aftermarket locker would have the advantage of being able to be used in both high and low. It is likely that the stock unit could be rigged to work both ways too, but not too likely that the dealership would install it that way.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:14 AM

[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 08-16-2006, 01:23 AM

I loved my arb air lockers. Never had ice up problems from moisture in the lines like some have and the compressor, which I thought sucked because of the added expense turned out to be the best thing I ever added in my trucks. I ran the compressor to a 10 gallon holding tank and was able to run my diff, air horns and rear air bags for towing with it, plus I added a air coupler for a hose at the rear bumper so I could inflate tires and run small air tools if trail repairs were needed. Personally I wouldn't pay the stealership to do ANY work out of warrenty, sorry but those that do are nuts! They charge a higher hourly rate than most lawyers do, ridiculous.