PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 alpha vs jeep wranglers off road

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
. Lifts are not the answer either. My humble advice, get some tires, UCP, rock rails and learn to wheel it, then think about your lift.
^^^ this

You can fit 35s with nothing more than a torsion bar crank (don't waste your money on a 1-3" 'lift', it can be done for free).

My best wheelin buddy has a wrangler with 4" lift and 33" tires. He's never gone anywhere I couldn't go in the h3. The different trucks just require different driving approaches over certain obstacles. The only thing about his jeep I'm jealous of is the ground clearance; I think its the only real achilles heel of the h3, the front end/drive line are pretty low. This just means its really important to get some skid plates/sliders if you're gonna do any hard wheeling.

Don't let your friends scare you off the h3, mine is far and away the most capable truck in stock form I've ever wheeled. They're just jealous that your h3 is damn comfortable to sit in and drive compared to their spartan accomodations!

PS- the FJ is also a highly capable rig, I looked at a couple before I bought the h3. IMO, the h3 is waaaay more comfy inside than the fj (and looks meaner)

Old 05-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Having come from a Rubicon TJ as a DD, I can honestly say in 99.9% of my all around driving experiences, I much prefer the H3 to the Rubicon.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
We wheel in MI with Jeeps all the time, we do all the same trails and obstacles. Your buddys never wheeled with an H3 so they are clueless. Oh yeah, we've seen the heep naysayers, but once they follow you around for a while, they will tell you they are impressed.

You need TIRES, if you try to wheel with them on street treads, you will eventually look funny and often. A stock off road H3 can do quite a bit, more than you know right now. I have wheeled with a novice guy or two with the H3 Alpha off road, do NOT think the answer to traction is the skinny pedal or you will be breaking stuff fast and tire spin is dangerous. I doubt the guy behind you wants a rock through the windshield. An I5 with the same off road package will go everywhere you can.

Lifts are not the answer either. My humble advice, get some tires, UCP, rock rails and learn to wheel it, then think about your lift.
hey Thank you doc olds for you're answer and i just wanted to ask you something else when i bought the truck one of the previous owners put on these tires that to me look really aggressive and good for off road but i figured i asked they are dick cepek radial F-C 2
and i am pretty sure there 33's but i will check today. So thank you for you're answer and if you can tell me if those tires are good that would be great but if not what tires are good?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing wrong with those Cepeks, the are a good all terrain type tread, not as aggressive as a mud tread, but not as noisy either. Good compromise tire for many. It depends how much and in what you wheel it. All of us would love to wheel 1000s of miles, but we all know we are on the roads much more than off.

My truck rolls on Mickey Thompson MTZs 305s, and I'm due for a new set this summer. Cepeck is part of the Cooper Mickey Thompson family of tires, all good stuff, made in the USA.

So if you have 33s on a stock wheel, they are either 285s or 305s. If you have tread life left, start working on the other wheeling essentials. If you want to wheel with your buds, first thing on my list would be UCP if your truck has none. You do not want a rock through your TC or Trans pan. Once the belly has some protection you can wheel without rock rails for a while if you are careful and don't over do it. You can drive hone with a chewed up rocker panel, but not with a busted TC.

Then rock rails, lots of us have Rocky Roads RRs, there are GM sets out there but you have to look hard.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by CurtisP87
^^^ this

You can fit 35s with nothing more than a torsion bar crank (don't waste your money on a 1-3" 'lift', it can be done for free).
No torsion bar crank needed for 35's. I run Duratracs without the level.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM

the only thing I wish my H3s had were lockers. other than that I wheel with a Rubi all the time, and there has only been a couple of places he went that I couldn't because he has lockers and I don't.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
Depends on the Wrangler and the trail. In general I'd put it as: Rubicon > H3 > all other Jeeps. Even then, the H3 is better than a Rubicon in some areas. SFA with sway bar disconnects at the touch of a button can help a lot, but so can running 35" tires on an otherwise stock H3. Once you get into lifts and other mods all bets are off.

Full disclosure - I've never owned a Wrangler Rubicon, but I have owned and wheeled Wranglers, Cherokees, and a Grand Cherokee. I've also owned and wheeled an H3 and H3T.

edit: You didn't mention whether or not you have the offroad package (lockers). This can make a big difference depending on the trail, but even if you don't you can still do quite well once you learn to let the traction control help. When a wheel starts spinning, let it continue to spin (DON'T floor it), and traction control will start to pulse the brakes to act like limited slip.
In my experience, it's not so much don't floor it but don't lift off the gas and add more when a wheel starts to slip.

Our H3 traction control system needs power to operate.

If you lift off the gas, you are basically shutting the system off.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:05 PM

Right, that's what I meant by let it continue to spin. It's also worth noting NOT to touch the brakes. Brake throttle modulation is useful for some vehicles, and may even be useful in an H3 in some situations, but as I understand it any brake pressure at all will disable traction control.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:34 AM

The only thing I don't like about the H3 is that it feels top heavy in off-camber situations even though I know it won't roll, but it puckers me anyway.

Check out the Kelly TSR tires made by Goodyear. Mine are awesome all-around and will last 40-50K

Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM

Currently have a 2008 H3 Alpha and a 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon. I like the jeep better, hate to say it, smaller vehicle and easier to handle. Now I am not climbing rocks, just mud pits and some rough terrain and hills.

Quick Reply: H3 alpha vs jeep wranglers off road