PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H3 "True Flow" Air Intake System vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Default H3 "True Flow" Air Intake System vibration

Hi all,

I am new to the Hummer H3 but I've done pretty much everything you can imagine with cars (racing, restoration, etc.). Anyway... I just passed the 500 miles on my '07 H3 and I installed the True Flow air intake system. You can see the intake here True Flow Intake for H3

I like the overall quality. It replaces the resonator portion and air filter but it retains the stock airbox. It is a nice setup. I am not sure about performance gains because my butt-dyno is not calibrated yet on the Hummer. The engine noise & vibration is a little higher at certain RPMs, but nothing bad. I have the stock exhaust.

One thing that bugs me about the intake is that because the engine is more rigidly connected to the airbox, the airbox vibrates more and a rattle can be heard in the cabin, especially at idle. I loosened the connecting hoses and squeezed the airbox closer to the engine and the vibration was reduced but not gone.

Is there another solution to this?

Thanks,
Theo.

Old 11-10-2006, 03:04 AM
Default RE: H3 "True Flow" Air Intake System vibration

Is it just me that has this problem or am I the only one using the True Flow system???

Old 11-10-2006, 12:43 PM

I think you're right..Most of us have either the K&N or a Volant CAI...

Those that have kept their original airbox are also complaining of vibrations sound resonating throughout..Maybe a a little wedging of foam insulation here or there will help silence things for you..

Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Thanks Dennis. I'll try it out.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: tteazis

Hi all,

I am new to the Hummer H3 but I've done pretty much everything you can imagine with cars (racing, restoration, etc.). Anyway... I just passed the 500 miles on my '07 H3 and I installed the True Flow air intake system. You can see the intake here True Flow Intake for H3

I like the overall quality. It replaces the resonator portion and air filter but it retains the stock airbox. It is a nice setup. I am not sure about performance gains because my butt-dyno is not calibrated yet on the Hummer. The engine noise & vibration is a little higher at certain RPMs, but nothing bad. I have the stock exhaust.

One thing that bugs me about the intake is that because the engine is more rigidly connected to the airbox, the airbox vibrates more and a rattle can be heard in the cabin, especially at idle. I loosened the connecting hoses and squeezed the airbox closer to the engine and the vibration was reduced but not gone.

Is there another solution to this?

Thanks,
Theo.
I made one of these a while ago. I had to use an F-body MAF-TB accordian type coupler to connecet between the air box and the resonator bypass tube. The I5 shakes alot and you'll need something in the air path to give. I've seen some colorado people trim the MAF section from the air box and let the K&N air filter and MAF wiggle inside the stock air box.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:53 AM

An accordion type coupler would solve the vibration problem. Any suggestion about where to look for it? What car model & year should I look for?

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:27 PM

I just happened to have one from a 2000 Z28 camaro. Any 98 - 02 would work.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:05 PM

Thank you for the great info. I am off to find a coupler! The vibration is bugging me...

Old 11-19-2006, 02:02 PM

ChevyHighPerformance,

Would you have access to another coupler??? I would pay you. I am having hard time finding one.

Thanks,
Theo.

Old 11-19-2006, 07:06 PM

Theo,

I'm sorry but I don't. The only one I have is for my Z28 which has to go back to stock when I trade it in. I checked on gmpartsonline and it seems that the coupler is sold with the air box for ~$48. The problem I found with the coupler is the turbulence caused by the coupler's ridges. This is why I went to a K&N kit.

Quick Reply: H3 "True Flow" Air Intake System vibration