PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H2-Things to have checked before buying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:22 AM

Back on the leakage issue .. There are many places it can get into water in these Hummer truck . The lighting is the easiest measure ... Under Roof rails will the water too .. The windshield is also a common place ....

Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Default Cooling System Radiator

Hi All
Thanks for your info.

I took it for a test ride and they are a beast aren't they!

I believe it needs a steering alignment and I saw no wet patches under the car where it had been standing.

It will still be taken to the GM dealership (there is only one) to be inspected though.

It has the air-ride system in the back which is working.

Question...how does one check the compressor for the air-ride system or does one have to wait for it to break?

Regarding the transmission and its own cooling system, I took some photos of the radiator and there are little ones attached to the main one.
Is one of these for the transmission cooling system?
I would imaging so as it gets to up to 50C here in the summer.
That's 122F in the old language.

Any further advice would be good.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails H2-Things to have checked before buying?-img_20131109_171919.jpg  

Last edited by mrjohnp; 01-29-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 AM

The smaller one in the center directly in front of your radiator is the transmission cooler. the small on off to the right should be a power steering cooler (I think) I'm not positive about that one but your p.s. pump is behind it and should be routed to it. the thin large radiator is your a/c and the big main one is engine.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrjohnp
Hi All

..........."Question...how does one check the compressor for the air-ride system or does one have to wait for it to break?

Any further advice would be good.

Thanks"
I would check for any leaks. The easy way to do this is get a small squirt bottle and put some water in it with a good mix a a soap solution. Then, get underneath the H2 and spray every component of the air system, (compressor, bags, lines, etc.) and watch for any bubbles to be formed. Any bubbles would immediately tell you that there is a leak.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 AM
Default Air Compressor

Originally Posted by fyr145
I would check for any leaks. The easy way to do this is get a small squirt bottle and put some water in it with a good mix a a soap solution. Then, get underneath the H2 and spray every component of the air system, (compressor, bags, lines, etc.) and watch for any bubbles to be formed. Any bubbles would immediately tell you that there is a leak.
How do you check that the Air Compressor is working and is not faulty?
Obviously if it makes some terrible sound when pumping that would be an indicator.
But is there any other way to inspect the working condition of the pump?

Also...if the pump does give out.....can one drive without it?

Last edited by mrjohnp; 01-29-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Read badly so changed.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Compressors can function electrically in that they will operate but the air lines that connect to and from the compressor could still be leaking. The undercarriage is constantly under some kind of vibration as it travels down the street.

Try to look at the compressor into 2 separate functions, mechanically and pneumatically. Just because one side sounds like its on and running, doesn't necessarily mean that the air lines are holding the air being produced by the compressor.

There are lines that are attached to the dryer unit of the compressor, those could leak as well. (its a rare event but since your checking, why not spend the extra few minutes spraying the soapy solution over that as well? It cant hurt the unit.)

Its not too expensive to change systems. You can find the springs on the internet. However, having to replace the compressor unit itself is quite costly. They usually start around $1000. USD here and up.

Changing your system would depend on how you plan on using your Hummer. If your going to tow stuff with it, then I'd say no, leave the air system on. But if you do not have any plans to haul or tow anything, then the springs are the way to go.

The hummer will still drive if the air backs are deflated, but it looks very awkward. The rear end sags deeply. And the ride over any rough roads would not help your comfort level as you would feel every bump in the road. I wouldn't recommend driving any long distances in that condition. I think someone on here with an air ride system can help verify this for you.

Last edited by fyr145; 11-12-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Yes, if the air compressor goes out completely you will not really be able to do anything with the H2 except limp around town. I don't know if there is a way to check that the compressor is in good working order unless you are going to tear it down and rebuild it. Other than leaks that would be obvious. The worst mistake a few have made is to not fix it when it is leaking and let the compressor burn itself out from running constantly. Usually your compressor will run a few times over the course of an hour for about 10-30 seconds. not a big deal. If its running constantly with the h2 parked its gonna burn out. fix the leak right away or switch to coil springs. Pros and Cons to both.
air = better for towing and height adjustment off road (although the last part is silly)
coils = low maintenance