PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H2 with GREAT gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Default H2 with GREAT gas mileage

To be clear, this is a completely hypothetical question. I own an H3, not H2, but would like to gain some information.

How much would it cost to replace the engine of an H2 with a Diesel engine. As I understand, there are other similar structured vehicles that use Diesel and get rather good gas mileage. I was just wondering if it would be unreasonable to change an H2's engine with that of a Diesel. Any thoughts?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by mbh307
To be clear, this is a completely hypothetical question. I own an H3, not H2, but would like to gain some information.

How much would it cost to replace the engine of an H2 with a Diesel engine. As I understand, there are other similar structured vehicles that use Diesel and get rather good gas mileage. I was just wondering if it would be unreasonable to change an H2's engine with that of a Diesel. Any thoughts?
Goodmorning everybody from Italy...
Excellent question...
Here in Europe we often wondered why the GM does not produce a motor for H2 with a Diesel (also similar to that dell'H1, or a different V8, V10 etc ...). In Europe, diesel is cheaper than gasoline and makes more, at the same engine capacity (more torque, more power, lower fuel consumption per km) , and given the fuel prices in Europe, much higher than in the USA, an H2 with a good diesel engine, big, simple and non-supercharged, according to many would allow them to sell many more cars, and maybe the GM would not have the economic problems that is facing these days. This is a fact, not a hypothesis.
For MY PERSONAL opinion (I'm a corporate law lawyer ...) GM executives have precise and personal responsibility in the (almost certain) failure of their own Society, because if you want to sell a product like the Hummer H2 in the world, you must analyze and understand the different markets, not just the U.S...
Mah .. We hope that GM understands this and can eventually do something to save the house ...
God bless America...
Luigi

Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 AM

In the later '70's GM came out with a diesel engine based on their gas engine (bad idea). It was a total fiasco. Those who know about diesels would send their oil in for analysis. The reports would come back showing antifreeze in the oil and other signs of premature failure. The engine failed in less than 50,000 miles. Trust was lost. Resale value of those vehicles plummeted. You couldn't give them away.

My guess is GM is gun shy about diesels from that experience.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 PM

@mbh307: You should check out this site:
http://www.hlineconversions.com/

They convert vehicles like Hummers into diesel running vehicles.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Standard H1/H2 Conversion Packages
Basic 500 HP Economy package - H-Line Green - $34,995

* DuraMax Diesel 6.6 Liter
* Allison Automatic Transmission 263 XHD 2HI 4HI
* Custom Intercooler
* Oversize HD Drive-Shafts
* High Capacity Transmission Cooler
* Aluminum InterCooler Tubes
* 4" Hi-Flo Exhaust w/Resonator
* Angle Cut Clutch Fan Drive System
* 500 HP Performance Programming
________
SarahJessica

Last edited by moto.racerx; 08-17-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:52 PM

Cha Chinggg!!!

That's more than what I have spent on gas in my lifetime, and I've been driving for 40 years.

Last edited by VegasGuy; 02-27-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by VegasGuy
Cha Chinggg!!!

That's more than what I have spent on gas in my lifetime, and I've been driving for 40 years.
In the UK there is also the option to convert petrol engine to LPG (liquid petroleum gas). Vehicle becomes duel fuel - can run on either. Not sure about pricing for this in Italy.

Costs around £1500 (around $2300) for a current saving of around 30-40p per litre (45cents or so). So you'd have to do a lot of miles to get the cost back, and thats assuming the pricing differential between LPG and Petrol remains.

On the plus side, with a diesel you can always burn old cooking oil!

http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

Very handy if you are Ronald McDonald or Colonel Saunders.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:29 PM

One more consideration before investing a large sum into your H2: If your H2 gets totaled the insurance company is not going to reimburse you for non-factory modifications.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:44 AM

sounds like a fun project if you have the moey laying around.