PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H1 test drive...Issues!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Default H1 test drive...Issues!!!!!

I'm shopping for an H1, and I've got some questions. I test drove a 2000 H1 today, and I think it had some serious issues (but maybe these things are normal, so please enlighten me). Biggest concern was some severe rocking back and forth when coming to a stop. Seemed like the gearing in the hubs was very very lose. The H1 rocked back and forth at least 4-5 times when coming to a stop, by about 1-2 inches. Felt like I was on a boat. The sales rep said he's driven lots of Hummers, and this is very normal. Well, it didn't feel normal to me...
I have some service statements, in which it states:
...all 4 reduction boxes are so loose they need to be serviced and overhauled gears need to be tightened up...
Secondly, front shocks were leaking bad. How much are replacements?
Also, it had a replacement engine done this year. The engine was a rebuilt 2000 engine from GM. Do you think it might be affected by the #8 cylinder problem?
Rust was also very apparent on the body (lots of rust bubbles). Is this normal, since I thought most of the chassis was aluminum.
Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks, Indy :beerchug:

Old 10-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Rocking upon stopping is normal. Is the statement you provided it said the geared hubs needed to be replaced, is that for this truck? Some 2000 trucks came with the heavy block. Is there a warranty with the rebuild? Do you have pictures of the rust? If on the aluminum panels it is oxidation, which can be repaired but depending on where and how much it can be expensive and requires some painting. Truck sounds like it should be priced cheap.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Yes, the statement is for this H1.
There was quite a bit of rust on the back panels, also on the side doors and roof section, as well as a long dent in one of the door panels (how easy is that to fix?).
Maintenance seemed poor. 2 accidents in the past. Brake calipers must also be replaced.
Door handle broke off when shutting the door. Horn was broken...and so on.
Price is around mid $40k.
Engine warranty expires in January.

Last edited by Indy; 10-16-2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:59 PM

You can find one that is a few years older and in WAY better condition on ebay all day, every day. I did. and I only paid 30K for mine

Old 10-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like that truck is way overpriced. I looked at a 2000 OT today that had some corrosion and needed a complete paint job. It was priced at 39K and was way overpriced. A really nice 2000 needing nothing might bring 40K.