PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H1 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Default RE: H1 Restoration

they can be converted if you really wanted too... btw I like your 2doors have pictures of the interior to the back camper part?
As for what you get I believe with 25k it is just the Dmax engine... and maybe the allisson transmission that is it.
For 50k you get upgraded Hubs/HalfShafts, Allisson transmission, 2wd/4wd transfer case, Performance Exhaust, Flashed PCM(Performance), High flow injectors/pumps, Wastegate controllers. List hoes on and on. But the main upgrade in my opinion is the 12k halfshafts/hubs definitelya must for high performance drive train. Since the halfshafts are the "fuses" in our drivetrain and they will break continueously if you are heavy on the gas in your high performance diesel.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

The $25-$50,000.00 is a range. A Duramax/Allison Conversion includes a 2" lift, new 12100#half shafts, drive line parts, torque converter and most people add a 2speed option to provide better fuel economy. Obviously making the new motor/tranny set up requires a host of smaller adjustments and parts. Most pricing I see is in the 25-30,000 range. With three Hummers you also have the option of doing a Duramax conversion on one or two and the 6.5 NA rebuild on the others or some combination thereof. As to converting a truck to a wagon I am sure that for enough money anything can be done but it would be cheaper I would think just to buy a wagon. Not sure what your basis is in the Hummers you bought but for most people that would guide you in the decisions on the best way to restore them. Ideally when you are done you don't have more in them than they are worth. I have restored a few cars where that was not the case.
How soon before you decide what you want to do and ship them?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks Cliff.

Here are pictures of the camper's interior:

[IMG]local://upfiles/4379/58EECFF29F64406B946BE0B9D55EB5B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4379/B1EFCC7F0771404E9CB033408A7D27C1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like a tour bus set up. What are your plans for the Hummers?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

The $25-$50,000.00 is a range. A Duramax/Allison Conversion includes a 2" lift, new 12100#half shafts, drive line parts, torque converter and most people add a 2speed option to provide better fuel economy. Obviously making the new motor/tranny set up requires a host of smaller adjustments and parts. Most pricing I see is in the 25-30,000 range. With three Hummers you also have the option of doing a Duramax conversion on one or two and the 6.5 NA rebuild on the others or some combination thereof. As to converting a truck to a wagon I am sure that for enough money anything can be done but it would be cheaper I would think just to buy a wagon. Not sure what your basis is in the Hummers you bought but for most people that would guide you in the decisions on the best way to restore them. Ideally when you are done you don't have more in them than they are worth. I have restored a few cars where that was not the case.
How soon before you decide what you want to do and ship them?
David.......two H1s will get the full Duramax/Allison conversion, including drivetrain ofcourse (the wagon and one 2-door). The third H1 will remain stock with the 6.5 Liter NA engine and have it rebuilt if necessary and implement the performance upgrades Mike Sabbarese suggested to bring output upto 270 HP. I might convert this third H1 which will have the 6.5 Liter NA engine to a wagon if it's feasible. Both campers will be removed.I will have two extra 6.5 Liter NA engines and automatic transmissions as well as stock driveline partsif anyone needs them.
I will be shipping them to the States within the next five weeks......there is still some paperwork to be prepared.

A new 2008 H1 here in Egypt will cost about US$315k including customs duties and sales tax. I am not restoring these H1s for the purpose of reselling them......they will be for my own personal use. Therefore, if I spend US$50k for restoring each H1 which will also have the Duramax powerplant, plus the initial purchase cost, I think I am doing fine. The three H1s when restoredwill almosthave the2008 H1 specs and factory condition (hopefully).

Old 03-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Wow. If I ever decide to sell my H1 Alpha I guess I should look in Egypt for a buyer? LOL If Mike is going to be doing the work I am sure he can send you photos of the progress. I would be happy to run by and take pictures to send to you if you like. Keep us posted.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Wow. If I ever decide to sell my H1 Alpha I guess I should look in Egypt for a buyer? LOL If Mike is going to be doing the work I am sure he can send you photos of the progress. I would be happy to run by and take pictures to send to you if you like. Keep us posted.
Unfortunately to import a car into Egypt it can only be max. a year old.......

I will have Mike do the work. I am just waiting for his offers which he promised to send in the next few days.

Thank you very much for the very kind offer David, I really appreciate it.......definitely it would be a great help if you can have a look at the H1s during the restoration process and let me know your opinion.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Happy to do it. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 AM

Happy to do it. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Thanks again David.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:23 PM

ORIGINAL: TKF430

Thanks Cliff.

Here are pictures of the camper's interior:

[IMG]local://upfiles/4379/58EECFF29F64406B946BE0B9D55EB5B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4379/B1EFCC7F0771404E9CB033408A7D27C1.jpg[/IMG]
Those are some nice looking campers. I personally would love to have a setup similar to that but without all the seats instead an actual mini RV type thing would be great for expeditions or even long trips on the road. Not to mention if you come home with another Hummer and wife kicks you out you can sleep with the dogs in your RV H1

Quick Reply: H1 Restoration