PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H1 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: H1 Restoration

Tarek we are glad to kelp. I don't have the NA engines but I will see what I can come up with on upgrades. Obviously you want to do upgrades that will not have a negative impact on the performance or longevity of the motor. There are things like PCM upgrades that you might want to look into. Talk to Mike about that. I was looking into a PCM upgrade for my H1 Alpha and after hearing what it did to the shift pattern and the extra heat generated by the performance enhancement of the upgrade I decided against it. Some are better than others.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Thanks David. I would appreciate it if you or anyone can assist me inknowingthe maximumoutput I can get from the 6.5l NA diesel engineand how to obtain it without reducing and compromising engine reliability.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 PM

here's a link to the hummer race truck Mike built/races so you know he's serious (he talks it down and is very modest):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebrWiO33gJE

sounds like a serious amount of work that needs to be done. I was going to suggest keeping the 6.5 without the turbo as well but Mike beat me to it -- Mike has said in the past that almost all the hummers that are towed into him have computer-related issues. If I was ever in the market again I'd definately buy an older truck with no computer (as close to the humvee's simplicity as possible...maybe a nice 93/94/95 na diesel). I'd miss the good a/c though.

rb

Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

For only a few thousand bucks you could upgrade the AC. I think I am with you on the older H1s Ron. Simpler=cheaper. besides we really don't need great AC hear in Socal anyway ( unless you want to go to the desert, high desert, mountains, etc in the summer )

Old 03-08-2008, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: ronb

here's a link to the hummer race truck Mike built/races so you know he's serious (he talks it down and is very modest):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebrWiO33gJE

sounds like a serious amount of work that needs to be done. I was going to suggest keeping the 6.5 without the turbo as well but Mike beat me to it -- Mike has said in the past that almost all the hummers that are towed into him have computer-related issues. If I was ever in the market again I'd definately buy an older truck with no computer (as close to the humvee's simplicity as possible...maybe a nice 93/94/95 na diesel). I'd miss the good a/c though.

rb
Thanks for the link Ron......serious truck.So you all recommend keeping the 6.5 Liter NA engine and not going for any turbo upgrades or Duramax conversions. According to Mike Sabbarese thethe 6.5 L-NA motor coulddeliver 250-270 horse power after minor rebuild of the engine and injection pump.Is that a better option than going with a 360 HP standard Duramax LBZ engine conversion?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure if it is better but it is a whole lot cheaper. The NA 6.5 is a simple, solid workhorse of an engine. If you rebuild it the drive train in the truck can stay the same. If you convert to the Duramax you have to lift the truck 2", change the transmission, half shafts,etc. My .02 would be to rebuild the 6.5 NA motors with the mods Mike is talking about.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

Not sure if it is better but it is a whole lot cheaper. The NA 6.5 is a simple, solid workhorse of an engine. If you rebuild it the drive train in the truck can stay the same. If you convert to the Duramax you have to lift the truck 2", change the transmission, half shafts,etc. My .02 would be to rebuild the 6.5 NA motors with the mods Mike is talking about.
Thanks for the advise David. Are the Duramax LBZ engines and Allison transmissions very reliable or do they suffer frequently from electronic problems?

Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

The Duramax and Allison combination is fantastic. I have about 20,000 miles on my Alpha and no issues. The power and torque are great. If Mike can get you 270 HP out of the NA 6.5 that will be a fun ride also. Did he say how much torque that motor will put out? Coverting to the Duramax would require lifting the truck a couple of inches, an all new drivetrain ( drive shafts, half shafts, torque converter...... ) It gets pretty expensive and depending on what you get out of the NA motor may not be worth it. Personal call on your part. I have the Allison/Duramax combo in the Alpha and the 6.5 TD in the 97. Big difference between the two accelerating and on the highway but not so much at other times.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:23 AM

I'd suggest keeping the 6.5L NA... Duramax has too many components and even though the block itself is solid and will last many thousands of miles the various components will not and before you ever reach those many thousands of miles you might of had enough with the failing components... And 270hp will be great! Also if you plan on wheelin these things alot of people say they are "under powered" I do not get that feeling while wheelin(except for big mud bogs where im running beside 1000hp trucks). Only time I feel my H1 is under powered is on the highway.
Also from where you live it might be ideal to keep it simple so you can get it worked on whereever. Another conversion option yet keeping it simple would of course be the cummins.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Injun don't you have to lift the Hummer 4" for the Cummins? Do you save on the driveline upgrades with the Cummins? I agree that the 6.5 NA is probably the best way to go.

Quick Reply: H1 Restoration