PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

H1 Grinding noise when going straight or turning to the left

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Default H1 Grinding noise when going straight or turning to the left

Hi everyone,
I bought my first h1 at the end of june. It is a 96 TD wagon. I have always loved these trucks, but I will say I have had a few problems with it and their is def a steep learning curve from the cars Im used to. Anyway I thought I had everything fixed on it and than last night I started noticing an odd noise. It sounding almost like a rattling exhaust shield, but I only noticed when I went over bumps and it than went away when the road was smooth, so I figured it was something loose on the exhaust and I would mess with it later. Today the noise got worse and loader. It now sounds like a grinding noise and is constant when the wheel is straight and gets even worse when I turn to the left. The noise goes away when I turn to the right however. It makes this noise from about 5 mph and up. In other cars when I have had a noise like this occurring when turning one way and going away when I go the other it has always been a wheel bearing and the problem is fixed. Is the H1 the same way, just a simple wheel bearing or is the set up different because of the geared hubs? Or does this sound like something else all together? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Sounds like a Prius or a Civic is stuck under the left side.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM

Haha. I was fairly ticked at my hummer, but that just made me laugh. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 PM

I am glad to have made you laugh.

If you really want a big laugh let me tell you about my....

Nevermind.

But here is a pearl of wisdom:

Just because a 4-star has a good idea, does not mean it is really a good idea.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Iassume that brakes are among the first things checked. The shields do come loose, crack, etc and can cause a variety of noises under different conditions. Do you have some audio of the noise?

Last edited by 3hummers; 08-27-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 AM

3Hummers,
I have checked the breaks and looked for anything that would be hanging down with no luck. I have no audio of the noise. The best sound I can describe it as is what a worn wheel bearing sounds like on a normal SUV. Are H1s set up similarly?

Old 08-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

I have had gravel get caught in the pads and make grainding noises. i had lost an entire pad somehow and had it make wierd noises and want to pull one direction. Sounds like a brake issue to me.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:29 AM

3hummers,

Thanks for the info on the pm. Unfort, I cant access my inbox. I could only read what you said through the email notification. Not sure if its because im new? I emailed the webmaster so we will see. Anyway you were absolutely right. After work yesterday I came home a messed with it again. I jacked it up and tried to shake all the wheels. All were tight and than with it in the air a spun to see if the was a rough spot in the rotation. The grinding noise that I thought was coming from the front left was actually the rear left. There was a piece of gravel in there abut the size of a piece of corn. Got it out and all is well now. Thanks again for help.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it was an easy, cheap fix.