PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

got a PCM4less tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Default got a PCM4less tune

If anybody is considering a PCM4Less tune they should DO it.
There is no other way to get that much performance boost for only $199.00
I have a 2009 Championship addition with Magnaflow exhaust and Volant CAI but the tune really made those items work.

Alvin is a good guy and offered me my money back after he did the work if I wasn't completely happy.
We test drove the vehicle in Moorsville. I asked if he could load the stock tune back after he had modified it so I could do a direct back to back comparison. He did, I drove it and he installed the new tune.
Its a great value.

I thought I would mention it for the benifit of those that aren't close enough to visit their facility.

This guy isn't about just a quick buck he wants to make his customers happy. As the owner of a company who produces parts for high end race cars and builds project vehicles for companies I respect that.

You won't be disappointed.

enough said

Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 PM

This is all well and good, except for my dealership telling me that any modifications to my PCM will cause GM to void my warranty. As long as that's true, this tune could give my H3 30mpg and I still would pass on it.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 PM

I've been eyeing the PCMtune for months. Dealership told me the same nonsense. "Voids warranty." Still got 2 years on warranty. The day that's over, PCMtune ASAP. Really wanted to supercharge, too. Obviously that ain't happening, either.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:24 PM

Are you going to tell them (the dealer) that you had the tune? I can see it voiding the warranty on the PCM, but it's not going to affect the remaining parts. Say, for example, that your power window quits working. Are they going to blame the PCM?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by 08H3
Are you going to tell them (the dealer) that you had the tune? I can see it voiding the warranty on the PCM, but it's not going to affect the remaining parts. Say, for example, that your power window quits working. Are they going to blame the PCM?
Do you honestly believe there's no way for them to tell that your PCM has been tampered with? I have no doubts that all they have to do is run a simple diagnostic to show that a PCM has been altered. I don't work in a Hummer shop, but I'm sure it's not far fetched to believe they run such diagnostics as part of their basic troubleshooting procedure. I used to work at Best Buy as a pc tech and if we found anything that fell under the guidelines for voiding a product warranty, we refused to fix the item whether the fault was related or not.

All I'm trying to say is this, it's your truck, you can do what you want as long as you've accepted the consequences of your actions. If a bit of extra performance is worth the risk of voiding your warranty, then so be it.

Keep on wheeling and enjoy your truck either way. /cheers

Old 02-21-2010, 02:14 AM

I'm with H3Donist on this one. There was a thread out there a while back that said the dealer can tell you messed with the PCM even if you put the stock one back in. True or not, I can't justify screwing with my warranty.
Glad I have the manual trans...

Old 02-21-2010, 02:25 AM

i'd get one as well, but I just can't afford the 300 or so dollars for the core charge and can't be without a vehivle for 3 or 4 days while they send me the new one. I wish there was a way that you could order it and then send in the old one. If they don't get it after a certain date then they charge your card the extra amount or something like that. I'm out of warranty and i have the rancho kit and 37's so i need a tune

Old 02-21-2010, 06:43 AM

Depends on whether your dealer is performance oriented or not. My dealer sells and installs the Superchips tuner themselves. I checked with their service manager prior to getting my PCMForLess tune. He said "no problem", and was even interested in the prospect of doing business with them. I too received my tune onsite at the PCMForLess Mooresville facility, and like the O/P, concur that Alvin is a great guy to work with. He spends the time to make sure that the tune is doing all it can to achieve your performance goals. My '08 H3 Alpha already had the AirDoc CAI w/K&N filter, and Magnaflow catback exhaust, and the tune really made these mods come together. The truck runs, accelerates, and sounds great. Shift points are also crisper. I can understand not wanting to screw up your warranty, but IMHO, I don't feel that in my case it will. My service manager said that the only problem that he could see happening was that if the truck came in for service, and the PCM had to be re-flashed to correct some other problem, the factory programing would be put back in. As Alvin told me; if there comes a time that the dealer has to re-flash the PCM to correct some other problem, PCMForLess will put your performance tune back in at no cost. I may be gambling, but aren't we doing that with any mods that we make that improve performance. I'll take my chances. I think it's worth it.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 AM

This is a rehash of a post I had on another thread:

I was at the Hummer dealership recently, and was asking the mechanic about reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). He said that when they hook up a Hummer to their diagnostics equipment, if it reads an altered PCM, it immediately shuts down, and prompts the mechanic to iniciate procedures to void the warranty.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 AM

My 06' H3 just went out of warranty a few weeks ago, but its a 5-speed manual. Would I see any kind of improvement?

Quick Reply: got a PCM4less tune