PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gobson vs. Borla vs. Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Default Gobson vs. Borla vs. Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

I've read many of the threads regarding CatBack exhausts and I'm trying to identify which has the "Deepest Growl/ Bass" on the H3. I've gone to the links with audio for some of these but they are not really very telling. Anyone have thoughts on which I should get in conjunction with a K&N or Airaid cold-air intake ? (Gibson is very enticing for the price but not sure how it sounds.)

Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Default RE: Gobson vs. Borla vs. Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

Thats too hard to tell on line.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Sugardaddy

Thats too hard to tell on line.

I am hoping to get feedback from practical experience with any of these CatBacks that members have purchased for themselves.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:46 PM

I just bought a Borla (didn't receive it yet but soon like next week). Can't give you a sound bit other than what the website puts out for a general sound. My second choice was a Volant as it was S/S and made much as the Borla except it didn't have a resonator before the muffler as the Borla has. I heard a sound bit along with a video of an H3 with a Volant system and it sounded much as the Borla sound bit on their website.

If money matters to you than I would look on the lower end first but the most expensive is most likely Borla than Volant which is about $200.00 cheaper. The other systems you listed are even cheaper yet around $360.00 to about $450.00 range.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 PM

I believe borla also uses the muffler in the stock location? If so I wwouldn't put it on if they gave it to me...dumb design IMO. I've put too many dents in my stock muffler already to want to see a borla get beat up the same way. IMO this was the biggest F up Gm made on the h3, to make a true 4x4 vehicle to compete with Jeep and then stick a muffler under the back bumper to bounce off of and get hung up on rocks.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:12 PM

I've got a S/S Gibson. Depending upon what rpm you are at it is somewhat loud. It is much louder than the stock exhaust when you put your foot into it. It's not bad off idle but you do lose the quiet nature of the stock interior. It becomes much louder when I'm puling my enclosed M/C trailer as the outlets exit straight out the back and you get the reverbation off of the trailer wall.

I also have an Airraid intake which adds another element to the increased noise level in the cab. I was in Vegas two weeks ago and rented an 07 H3 and I could really tell the difference in interior noise level.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

I believe borla also uses the muffler in the stock location? If so I wwouldn't put it on if they gave it to me...dumb design IMO. I've put too many dents in my stock muffler already to want to see a borla get beat up the same way. IMO this was the biggest F up Gm made on the h3, to make a true 4x4 vehicle to compete with Jeep and then stick a muffler under the back bumper to bounce off of and get hung up on rocks.
Yes, it is as most others are in the very same location as the stock muffler. I take it from your posts right after I post that you don't like Borlas very much? I do and with the S/S and Million Mile warranty I am in! I don't plan on off roading so I will pay the extra $$$$ for the Borla. Besides, when I bought it, I received a 10% discount being it was ordered over the Thanksgiving weekend. Nice deal![sm=happy046.gif]

Here are a few to look at:
Magnaflow

Gibson

Borla

Volant

I've put too many dents in my stock muffler already to want to see a borla get beat up the same way. IMO this was the biggest F up Gm made on the h3, to make a true 4x4 vehicle to compete with Jeep and then stick a muffler under the back bumper to bounce off of and get hung up on rocks.
I think there are guidelines that state what angles the H3 has to avoid bottoming out in the owners manual?

If you take your rig off road, then I wouldn't even upgrade to any custom exhaust system unless it was like a guy here did on another thread and he just removed the muffler and went with a straight pipe.

Hey, you never did answer my question.....when are you going back out to Paragon????????

Old 12-02-2006, 01:55 AM

actually I love borla, have a full header back system on my Camaro. I just would hate to spend the bucks and see it get dented the way my stock one is. I may still go with a borla setup, but will use a universal muffler that will fit like the gibson one does.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: KTMCanuck

I've got a S/S Gibson. Depending upon what rpm you are at it is somewhat loud. It is much louder than the stock exhaust when you put your foot into it. It's not bad off idle but you do lose the quiet nature of the stock interior. It becomes much louder when I'm puling my enclosed M/C trailer as the outlets exit straight out the back and you get the reverbation off of the trailer wall.

I also have an Airraid intake which adds another element to the increased noise level in the cab. I was in Vegas two weeks ago and rented an 07 H3 and I could really tell the difference in interior noise level.
Great info, thanks; this is the setup I've been leaning towards.

1. Are you pleased with the Airaid?
2. Is the loundness a "growl" or a high pitched "whine" that comes out of the Gibson?

Old 12-02-2006, 02:50 AM

The Airaid is ok. Not sure how much of a difference it made, but more air in moderation is good. It rains here most of the time and it's been fine as far as any debris getting in there.

The Gibson has a low growl. Not annoying but much more noticeable than stock. I looked at the others and didn't want the muffler in the stock location as it's possble to have it ground out off-road. The Gibson, because it's near the tranny is much less likely to get damaged off-road.

Quick Reply: Gobson vs. Borla vs. Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster