PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gobi's

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Default Gobi's

I searched around here and other places and found that a Gobi rack seems to be the best so its on the wanted list.

I see that there is the standard, lo profile and stealth versions. I can't figure out what the difference between the lo profile and the stealth versions are! Anybody know?

It also says there are crossbars. If I wanted to put a cargo box up on top, anybody know what the distance between the bars is?

Also, where is a good place to get one? I'm bummed I just missed that free ladder deal from Trail Duty.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Default RE: Gobi's

i'd have to say they're the best you can get. the place below carries them, and even if he can't give you the best price (let him know i sent you, if nothing else, i'll get a discount down the road . :-) ), he can at least tell you what the different options are.

http://www.hummersolutions.com/index.php

Old 09-19-2006, 05:35 PM

The free ladder deal was actually from Gobi, Trail Duty offered free shipping. I bought the low profile version myself, and when it gets here I will let you know how big the areas are between the crossbars. I was somewhat disappointed about the idea of crossbars myself, but I guess that's the way it goes. The only thing I can think of that may be different between the low profile and the stealth version is the height of the mounting brackets. The overall height is the same when mounted on the vehicle between the two, and the dimensions given by Gobi seem to be for the standard version. That is my guess, so I dunno.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:55 PM

I decided to just call Gobi and they told me that the difference between the lo profile and the stealth is something to do with bolts. Apparantly the stealth has stainless bolts and the lo profile is just all black. They are the same size and dimensions though.

After looking closely at the pictures, it looks like the top rail of the lo profile is just welded in place
http://www.trailduty.com/images/H3-LowPro-Sun.jpg

but the top rail of the stealth is held on with bolt on clamps with a stainless bolt through the middle. They highlight this in the stealth shot now that I look at it.
http://www.trailduty.com/images/H3-Stealth-Extn.jpg

But in both those pictures, the bottom 3 shots are of the stealth I think...

I dunno....If anybody has one of either, maybe they could post a picture of a close up on the side of the rack? I'm sure its something 99.999% of people will never notice but I will notice it all the time wondering what that other rack looks like!!

They also hinted that with SEMA coming up, there will likely be another factory special next week.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:17 AM

Good job tracking down the differences, I was curious about that myself...

Any hints on what all is going to be on special since SEMA is coming up?

Old 09-20-2006, 03:55 AM

She made it sound like the free ladder deal again but I didn't really ask..was kind of in a hurry when the other phone line rang.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Old 09-20-2006, 01:47 PM

I'm considering the Gobi racks too. Does anyone have experience with them and can advise the following:

1. How much wind noise, is it really bad on the highway?
2. How can one wash the roof considering that the rack has a mesh floor?
3. If you have to take it off to clean, is it easy to do with one person?
4. Any rusting issues?
5. MPG drop after installation?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2006, 01:55 PM

1. haven't noticed a difference, but the stereo fixes the wind noise
2. it's a bitch to do. i made a pvc extension that will hold a sheepskin mitt, but it's still a bitch to do
3. not a one person job for an H2 full size rack, not sure about an H3 rack
4. only rust is where the finish got rubbed off from the gas cans
5. no change in mpg

Old 09-20-2006, 02:46 PM

I donno about this..

Here's a guy that is a staunch proponent of filth and mud, who admits devising a contraption to clean his Hummer's roof with....what's this world coming to?

Quick Reply: Gobi's