PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

GM in Tentative Deal to Sell Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Thumbs down

I'm very happy that I purchased mine this year. I just find this whole thing very distasteful. An American icon, a symbol of freedom that can trace its roots back to the military of this country being sold off to a communist country. That just frosts my nutz. I know that GM will still be producing the cars (for a while anyway) however the money still goes home. Maybe by the time I need to replace my Hummer, things will have changed and I won't have to worry about it.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:36 AM

Get them before their gone. The new CAFE standards will eliminate hummer in this country. The company who bought them is in heavy equiptment. they will never pass CAFE unless the government gives them a waiver. But then again the leader of the US a hipocrite? no way. Ha Ha Ha

Old 06-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by pyro013
Get them before their gone. The new CAFE standards will eliminate hummer in this country. The company who bought them is in heavy equiptment. they will never pass CAFE unless the government gives them a waiver. But then again the leader of the US a hipocrite? no way. Ha Ha Ha
It's really too early to tell. Hummer, now as a stand-alone, small, niche, and foreign brand should have a lot more political flexibility than GM ever could hope for. At the very least, high-end products are in a much better position to absorb CAFE penalties into their pricing structure.

I'm not sure about the new regulations but one of the early proposals from 2 years ago had a waiver built in already for low volume brands like Porsche, Rolls Royce, and Ferrari. Don't worry, our politicians will always take care to preserve the lifestyles (including cars) of their major campaign doners and backers. LOL

Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by pyro013
What about Lamborghini, Ferrari, etc... I think companies with small enough stock might get a pass, but be taxed heavily.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:16 PM

There are lots of options out there for the Hummer Brand. Idependent of GM it will have more flexibility. I'm sure a Hummer Hybrid is in the near future.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by YellowFin
There are lots of options out there for the Hummer Brand. Idependent of GM it will have more flexibility. I'm sure a Hummer Hybrid is in the near future.
Make mine a sweet little 5 or 6 Cyl. turbo diesel with a 7-speed auto please!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM

A turbo diesel would be sweet. A diesel would definitely make me think about a new purchase of my current H3.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM

Just received this email from Hummer:

"
We value the commitment you've made to our brand over the years. And today, we're happy to inform you that this commitment will be rewarded with a healthier, more robust, more innovative HUMMER.

We are pleased to announce that HUMMER has found a new investment partner who is dedicated to advancing the most capable off-road vehicles on the planet, vehicles that you've enjoyed driving and we've enjoyed making for you.

We're sure you're wondering what that means for you as a HUMMER owner.

First, rest assured, GM and HUMMER plan to honor all vehicle warranties for the length of their terms of coverage. You can also continue to expect the highest level of customer service from your local HUMMER dealer.

Second, all vehicles will still be produced in the United States, maintaining roughly 3,000 jobs — and an experienced automotive team will handle global operations from its headquarters in the U.S.

Third, we will stay true to our heritage of building innovative, class-leading, capable vehicles with the HUMMER styling you know and love. In fact, this new partnership will allow us to renew our commitment to the improved, efficient vehicles that you demand today, while focusing on bringing you technologies like alternative fuels and diesel engines in the future.

Thank you, once again, for your loyalty to the HUMMER brand. Through this new partnership and your unwavering support, we will continue to be Like Nothing Else.

To learn more about the future, go to HUMMER.com

Best Regards"

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Anyone have a clue how long GM discount will last at this point....end of 3rd quarter maybe when the deal is finalized?