PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

GM in Tentative Deal to Sell Hummer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by silicone boy
I took my H3 into the Chevy dealer for service just yesterday. Mine's LS2 powered, so they just pretended it was a Corvette. Of course, I voided the warranty when I swapped the engine. Your local Chevy dealership will service your Chevy, Hummer, Pontiac GTO, etc. Don't worry. You're covered
Alright man, start talking--you swapped an LS2 into your H3? Did it start life as an Alpha, or did you take out the I-5? If it's in a previous post, I missed it, but am definately interested in what it took to make happen.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by twinmill28
I was initially shocked at the final buyer of HUMMER--all slanted opinions aside; I''m up for keeping the HUMMER brand alive instead of flushing it in the wake of GM's bad decisions. I'm hoping this will FINALLY open up the aftermarket companies to start providing a flood of bolt-on options for the H3. So far, we have been severely handicapped by all the major companies who did not want to invest time and energy into developing parts for a vehicle that they did not know would be around. Look at our options for front and rear bumpers (one aftermarket rear bumper available that I am aware of, something like two or three actual aftermarket front bumpers--ARB, Boulder Acc. & H2O). How about limited suspension choices--Rancho and Rough Country, come on, we need some SAS kits! Minimal engine mods--even engine swaps (nobody has talked about swapping in an LS1 or any crate-8 into the underpowered I-5 H3). And all of these options are way overpriced for the most part. With a new buyer and renewed interest in the HUMMER brand, maybe we can get on with seriously customizing our trucks for off roading and getting rid of that whole bling perception that we have been stuck with.
Interesting choice of words, "slanted opinions"....
I agree about the aftermarket. Try and find anything H3T specific. If it wasn't already made for the H3, it's on hold, it seems.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by canuckZr2
Actualy Harley was bought by a Japanese co in 1983 then bought back by the employes in the late 80's early 90's ...they (Sichuan Tengzhong) are only buying the marketing of the brand not the manufacturing of it (the H3 is still made in a GM factory next to the canyon...H2 still made by AM General) so it will now have 3 partners one who owns the name one who makes it and one who markets it ..... that is at least to my understanding...that is unless AM Gen sold it all to GM and was just the disign house for them
Gee. Thanks for setting me straight on Harley History unfortunatly I Think you had better check the "real" history books. Japanese companies NEVER owned HD. They tried and failed. The Japanese did try to copy the look of the Harley by building many "Want ta be" bikes. That's another story for another day.

Bottom line, I hate to see an american icon like Hummer owned by another country. Yeah, I know that the H3 will be built here in the states, but so are the other imports. That doesn't make the Toyota car an American car. By the way... Do you honestly believe they will keep building the H3 for much longer? The import companies normally push for the smaller gas saving vehicles.
I absolutely love all of the Hummers. Always will. I will keep buying Hummers. My individual preference will be not buying new Hummers starting with 2010. That is very sad but my preference. Besides, I don't think I will see a 2011 Hummer. For those who don't care about the sell out, I hope I'm wrong.

My 2 cents.....

Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM

Guys.... AMF owned HarleyDavidson for awhile and I don't think anyone could have run them into the ground like they did. every harley built during the AMF days where nothing but Junk..they even leaked oil on the showroom floor Mike

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by twinmill28
Alright man, start talking--you swapped an LS2 into your H3? Did it start life as an Alpha, or did you take out the I-5? If it's in a previous post, I missed it, but am definately interested in what it took to make happen.

Temporary thread hijack. This has been posted before, but I can't find it anymore. I've had an LS2 in my car (400hp) for the past year or so. Custom mounts and harness were used, as were a few Alpha parts (oilpan, etc>)

I did it because the H3 was the slowest thing on earth and the Alpha really wasn't that much more powerful. It gets about 16-17 mpg in combined driving and 18 on the highway. I farmed out the swap, but I'm very familiar with LS swaps and my two other cars, a 93 RX7 and my Miata have LS7's that I put in myself. Yes, it's a lot of work but straight forward. It didn't seem right that the H3 would weigh twice as much and have nearly a third the power.

Last edited by silicone boy; 06-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by mbrannon64
Guys.... AMF owned HarleyDavidson for awhile and I don't think anyone could have run them into the ground like they did. every harley built during the AMF days where nothing but Junk..they even leaked oil on the showroom floor Mike
You are correct Sir!
I owed a 1980 FLH and it leaked big time. I had to rebuild the bike from the ground on up. I even took the AMF logo off the bike because I was ashamed of the quality they had. Once the Brothers and workers took command, the bike had much better quality. Thanks to AMF, the Harley got the image of the oil leaker.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:30 PM

Who would have thought that Hummer would be the first Chinese automotive brand in America? It makes sense since Land Rover was our first Indian brand! LOL

At any rate, I'm very happy that the brand will be kept alive. Hummer just needs a motivated owner with deep pockets to stabalize and then build up the brand. The Chinese are very savy and know how to protect and grow their investment money, I'm sure they'll keep it exclusive. Look at the amazing Buick models they've created for their home market.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM

"Bottom line, I hate to see an american icon like Hummer owned by another country. Yeah, I know that the H3 will be built here in the states, but so are the other imports. That doesn't make the Toyota car an American car. By the way... Do you honestly believe they will keep building the H3 for much longer? The import companies normally push for the smaller gas saving vehicles.
I absolutely love all of the Hummers. Always will. I will keep buying Hummers. My individual preference will be not buying new Hummers starting with 2010. That is very sad but my preference. Besides, I don't think I will see a 2011 Hummer. For those who don't care about the sell out, I hope I'm wrong."

Have you not seen the Armada or the new Pathfinder they are huge!
The armada is 207.7 " the H3 is 186.7" long width is 79.3" for the armada and 75" the H3 my 2 door blazer Zr2 is 176.8 " long and 67.8 " wide its a mid size truck not to mention that the H3 sales are climbing out side of the N/A market ....

You are correct AMF owned Harley from 1969 to 1981, howerver my point is still the same. Its not like they will own it forever and if the US and Candian buyers start suporting their own market and start buying North Amarican TV's, radios, cars, ect ect (the big three start to lead the disign) then the US/Canadian industry and ecconomy will be like it once was....The Japanes don`t build a better car they just market it better!!!

Was Chrysler an import when it was owned by Damler? Is it now that its owned by FIAT? Was Vaxhall/Opal a north American car when GM owned it?how about the Shelby Cobra was it an American car or a British car sold through Ford hot roded by an American......

Toyota is a Japanes car made in the states and Japan owned by the Japanes your money is out of the country and not comming back when you buy them, with hummer its an American car owned buy a company in China your money will more than likely stay home but Hummer now has an in to the largest emerging market in the world!

Last edited by canuckZr2; 06-03-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM

I agree that we will benefit more from an overseas company. If an American company would have purchased it would have still had limited purchases outside of the US. With the new markets there will be a bigger interest in the aftermarket parts. Like I said, how many parts are already on the H3 from an overseas manufacturer. You have to look at the positive side of things.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by soonerta
I agree that we will benefit more from an overseas company. If an American company would have purchased it would have still had limited purchases outside of the US. With the new markets there will be a bigger interest in the aftermarket parts. Like I said, how many parts are already on the H3 from an overseas manufacturer. You have to look at the positive side of things.
Exactly! It will also be interesting to see how the Greenies/Lefties react to Hummer now that it's not only a foreign brand but also a minority owned business as well. That's potential goodwill that "Evil" GM could never hope to achieve on it's own!

There's also now hope again that the rocking HX concept may enter production!

Quick Reply: GM in Tentative Deal to Sell Hummer