PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

GM Dealer Screwed Me Over

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:14 PM

No misunderstanding at all. In fact I was surprised that the warranty was that long for a new motor. I had surgery, but was no longer on pain meds, I was just kind of weak, but the service manager clearly stated 100,000 mile warranty.

See the thing is that in 2006 the car warranty was 50,000 miles then in 2007 they went to 100,000 miles. My vehicle ran out of warranty back at 50,000 miles. The engine went out at around 87,000 miles and trust me I am very grateful that GM paid for half of it, but it still cost me nearly $4000 that I really could not afford, but I went with the decision based on the awesome 100,000 mile warranty that was supposed to come with it.

The service manager said AFTER GM paid for half of it, well, it MIGHT be that since they paid half they might ONLY give you a 50,000 mile warranty, cutting in half the normal 100,000 mile warranty. Now, he is claiming he never said any of that. I surely was not out of my mind when on several different occasions he said the same thing. You can even look at my large thread here on these forums where I spoke of being given a 100,000 mile warranty.

I just hate being lied to and I feel I was treated dishonestly at this dealership. Again, they say one thing before they get your money and another thing after they get your money.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 PM

Utter BS, The service manager is lying to you plain and simple. I was a tech for 12 years, the manufacturer supplies the warranty on parts, the dealer does the labor. They don't kind of maybe sort of give you a warranty. New parts from a dealer come with a specific warranty on all new parts whether its a fan belt or an engine.
Labor on an engine install, assuming that there are no other parts need or jobs being done at the same time should run in the 1500-2000 area from a dealer. I know for a fact that a new 3.5 longblock from GM does not cost anywhere near 6000.00.

Since you chose to pay and leave with it with nothing in writing but the standard issue parts and labor warranty which is typically 12m/12k then you have nothing. You can complain, build websites and name names which will get you sued but you have nothing to go off of except their word against yours.
All auto repair shops are required to give you a written estimate and get approval for any repair job over 100.00, all terms, part prices and estimated labor are clearly printed out for you. You signed it, paid for it and drove away with it when they were done.

You got totally screwed, but you also let them do it. There is no good old boy and a handshake warranty in this day and age.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Sorry to hear about such an ordeal, I thought Ive had some here with the NYC dealerships -I got the service manager fired over damaging my front diff...but the service didnt improve enough still with the new mngr.
Guess you might want to consider getting a small video or at min a voice recorder, then go and record a conversation with the scum bags.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:51 PM

^
Which in most states if you don't tell the other party they are being recorded will get you arrested for unauthorized wiretapping.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by talusfan
^
Originally Posted by talusfan
Which in most states if you don't tell the other party they are being recorded will get you arrested for unauthorized wiretapping.

It is, I guess, a sign of the times -we common folk are fearful of "wiretapping" because only the government can do that, a mentality obfuscating the sense of rights man may have and make tangible witness to.

Recording a contract, either with traditional paper, witnesses or electronic equipment is, in almost every state not illegal, as long as you are a party to that conversation let alone (here) 'handshake' contract.

"Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so. These laws are referred to as “one-party consent” statutes, and as long as you are a party to the conversation, it is legal for you to record it. (Nevada also has a one-party consent statute, but the state Supreme Court has interpreted it as an all-party rule.)
Twelve states require, under most circumstances, the consent of all parties to a conversation. Those jurisdictions are California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington. Be aware that you will sometimes hear these referred to inaccurately as “two-party consent” laws. If there are more than two people involved in the conversation, all must consent to the taping.
Regardless of the state, it is almost always illegal to record a conversation to which you are not a party, do not have consent to tape, and could not naturally overhear." - "Can We Tape?"

Im sure there are loads of cases you can find on Bloomberg Law and Westlaw if you have a subscription; if not just do a quick Google search.

-The above is not to be taken as legal advice; do your own due diligence...Google

Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 PM

btw, ever notice how investigative TV always try to obtain a service (creating an implicit contract to specific performance) with whom they may believe are unethical/braking the law?

Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 AM

No actually I don't because I do not watch tv, Why would I waste time googling anything? He got the estimate, authorized the work and paid for it and left, Then complained later that it was too much, which it was, and that he didn't get a 100k warranty on a replacement engine nevermind the fact that no manufacturer offers that.
The paper work clearly states what the part and labor warranties are, you know that piece of paper they give you to take to the cashier right before they drain your wallet of everything including the lint and dust mites? I guarantee it doesn't say anything about a 100k warranty on a replacement engine. The entire subject is a waste of time.