PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

GM Dealer Screwed Me Over

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Unhappy GM Dealer Screwed Me Over

Ok, some of you may remember that my 2006 H3 lost it's motor with around 87,000 miles on it. I got a Goodwill Warranty 50/50 repair from GM to get a new motor put in.

The dealership service manager told me that I could get either a used motor for $2000.00 or get a NEW motor for around $7500.00 or so. Once I got the GM Goodwill warranty to pay for half of it, I decided on the new motor.

Anyway, when I left the dealership, the service manager had said that the receipt they gave me means I could get this new motor repaired at any GM dealership, not just theirs (if something should ever go wrong with it). He said I had a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty on this new motor. I was told that from the very beginning and that was in fact the deciding factor on getting the new motor rather than the used one.

So, when I got home and was looking at the receipt I was given, I did not see anywhere where it said anything about the warranty. I immediately called the service manager and asked him to fax me something that shows my warranty. He said he would. I've called him every week or two since and he kept saying that the "big wigs" at GM never called him back.

Anyway, yesterday, I called yet again and said I needed this asap and he says he will call them again. He calls me back, says that basically they are going to give me a 15,000 mile warranty after my car turns over 100,000. I told him that was unacceptable, that I made my decision to buy this new motor based on the 100,000 mile warranty.

I called GM to complain and they said it's a "he said she said" kind of thing and that there is nothing they can do. I'm now waiting on a call back from this persons superior.

Has anyone else here ever been through this? They are all nice till they get your money, then all of a sudden, you are a piece of garbage.

I'm so upset I don't know what to do.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM

There is no 100k warranty on a new engine, Whoever told you that was lying from the outset and you did not get anything in writing at the time.
$7500 for a new 3.5 motor is absurd you got nothing from the goodwill department. They just inflated the price to make you feel better when they told you they will pay half.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM

always get it in writing BEFORE any work is done. period.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:36 PM

hate to say it but sounds like you walked in the dealership had there free coffe and then they bent you right over there desk and never even used a rubber. unfortunetly there is no law on dealship rape.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Default Same **** different dealer

I have two local GM dealers by me the prices are so different when you order parts or service.. They all suck...we bail them out with our tax dollars and they turn around and continue to rip people off.... my 2 cents, sorry to hear about the raw deal.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Actually, no free coffee. In my situation, we were away from home when the engine blew and we were towed to the nearest GM dealership.

They quoted me the price before I had ever even heard of a goodwill warranty. So, it wasn't inflated from that point.

Just as a side note, I had just had major surgery and was going to the see the surgeon for a followup when the engine blew. It is the service manager who told me about the 100,000 mile warranty for a new engine. Never thought to ask for it in writing up front as I was in pain and kind of weak at the time and they seemed like decent people. Boy was I wrong!!

nijoma, thank you for your two cents worth.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 AM

Ghost, 1.) glad to hear that the surgery went ok, your posting on here some I'm assuming it did. 2.) glad to hear that Hummer is back on the road... However therest is a super BUMMER! I would definitely start going in person to this dealership, if it's a haul from you that makes it difficult, but you need to make more ripples than just phone calls... Sure he's prob ****ting himself on the other end, but prob because he's scared that your gonna show up...

Old 11-25-2011, 07:34 AM

Dagkana, oh trust me, I am giving them ONE more chance, when the Manager or owner of this dealership comes back from being on vacation this week. I'll call Monday and give this guy a chance to make it right. If he doesn't, he doesn't know who he messed with. Anyone researching this dealership before buying from them OR getting service from them will know how dishonest they are.

I will contact every single agency, from Attorney General to BBB, etc. and file a complaint. I build websites and I'm VERY good at SEO, every complaint board I can find will have posts from me about this issue and I will be naming names! (I have already purchased a great domain name to use for calling out dishonest dealerships).

I don't take kindly to being lied to. It is my fault for not insisting on getting it in writing, but truly, I felt they were being honest and I certainly thought that buying a new engine that it would certainly come with a great warranty, especially after being told it did.

Anyway, thank you for the kind words, some of the replies here were kind of rough.

Hope you had a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by Ghost Rider; 11-25-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Default GM or Dealership, Who Is Responsible For Warranty??

I'd like to ask a question as I've been told two different things so someone is lying to me.

The dealership told me that GM is the one who provides the motor warranty because they ordered the motor directly from GM. (I saw the crate and it was shipped from GM in Michigan).

When I called GM to complain about the dealership they said that the dealership furnishes any warranties. They further said they cannot control what the dealership does as they do not own the dealership.

So, it can't be both, in your opinion and/or knowledge, when it comes to an entire engine, who is responsible for the warranty on said engine?

Old 11-25-2011, 01:13 PM

To me it sounds like the are both right. GM sets the engine warranty but what I think they are say is that anything above and beyond that the dealer is offering on there own.
Is it possible that being in the condition you say you were in misunderstood something? I have never heard of a 100,000 mile warranty on a replacement engine.
Good luck though.

Quick Reply: GM Dealer Screwed Me Over