PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

GM customer service sucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Default GM customer service sucks!!!

I had to have my truck towed in yesterday because it wouldn't start. Since I'm at 55,000 miles my original warranty is over. I called last year when I had the head problem and got an extended onethat basicaly covers everything under the hood.I somehow misplaced my letter so I called GM to get them to fax me a copy so I could give it to the dealership.(easy enough I thought) She told me they have to research it and file a request to get another copy and I'd get it in the next week or so. I tried to calmly tell her that I needed it today because the dealership will want payment when I pick up my truck and I do not have that kind of money to spend and then wait god knows how many weeks to get it back from them. She kept telling me she "couldn't understand" why I was upset and what the problem was.
Am I wrong for getting upset about this?

Old 04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Default RE: GM customer service sucks!!!

The big problem is.......they are all a bunch of automated robots over there, they can't make any decisions on there own, as soon as gets off the normal routine, well there all screwed and don'tknow what to do, thing is do you really need that letter, should it not be in the system??

Old 04-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

When you consider the amount of information that GM deals with on a daily basis I think it is unrealistic to expect them to be able to go find your one page letter on such short notice. I have had a few letters like that in the past and always make multiple copies and put them in several safe places. ( My latest was getting AMG to extend the warranty on my 2006 Alpha by8 months ) You should be kicking yourself at least as hard as you are kicking them. They did give you a copy of the letter also. If you can't find it think about the size of the pile they have to look through. I am sympathetic but don't think GM deserves as much wrath as you are aiming there way on this one. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with 3hummers, but I don't think you are wrong for being upset. Anybody would be in your situation. They definitely should have the knowledge and access to pull something as simple as that up in their system.

Are you dealing with GM Customer Service, or Hummer Customer Service? I thought Hummer had it's own department. I guess since the warranty extension was directly from GM, that's who you have to deal with.

That's a bummer. Look on the bright side; at least they are able to get a copy for you and didn't say they couldn't. They could have just told you "Sorry, but we have no record of that" and then you'd really be in bad shape

Old 04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that a record should be attached to the file for the vehicle/owner but I run a company a fraction of the size of GM and I know that finding info and documents can be a real pain.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Then you need to upgrade your document management system It doesn't have to be We can talk about that some other time tough

Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM

I understand it takes time and I know it is my fault for not knowing where my original letter is. Trust me I am kicking myself for that. I'm just frustrated the dealership can't figure out what's wrong with it and it's been a bad week in general for me I know it's not their fault it's just the lady at customer service said she could see on her screen what was in the letter, all I wanted was for her to tell the service dept yes or no whats wrong with my truck is covered. The lady at service dept is willing to call and talk to them but it dosen't seem like they want to.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

See, you failed to mention that part of the story. So, all she had to do was call the dealership for maybe 60 seconds to tell them you are covered and she didn't want to do that, and the woman at the dealer was willing to call for you to speak to her?

That is rediculous [:@]

I have said this time and time again, and I am going to say this now; and then they wonder why the American car market is going down the tubes.

When I owned all of my imports over the years, the cust. service above the dealers was incredible. I have dealt with Nissan, Suzuki, Isuzu and Toyota for certain things, all of which I never had a problem with.

I get bothered when people tell stories like this on here about how something so simple is apparently so difficult for them to do.

Like they say, maybe it just depends on who you get? I dunno I have a hard time believing the entire GM Customer Serivce department has that mentality, or rather, would like to not believe it.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM

I apolagize for saying the whole dept is bad. I was just frustrated. When I called them last year they were great.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Did you ask her for a copy of the letter? See if she will print you a copy and let the dealer deal with it from there. Besides you need a copy of the letter anyway.

Quick Reply: GM customer service sucks!!!