PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Give the peace of mind

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by garnaout
Thanks a lot guys 2 questions

1- What is the best way to use Sea Foam? put the whole bottle instead of fuel when my gas tank is almost empty then fill it all the way up? what do u recommend?

2- Is there a chance setting my car on fire while doing this vaccum leak testing with TB cleaner since its highly flammable?

thanks again
2) I'm talking a tiny spritz here and there, not dousing the engine compartment and lighting up a cigarette. The stuff evaporate rapidly, so one quick spritz, wait a minute, spritz #2, wait a minute...........

IMHO Sea Foam is worthless.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 PM

than what do u recommend instead?

Old 01-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

IMHO Sea Foam is worthless.
Our old Jeep had a sticky lifter once so I put Sea Foam in the oil and two days later, no noise and dumped the oil and replaced with new. Drove it for another year and traded her in.

Last edited by Mr. Fancy Pants; 01-19-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM

so took it to mechanic today who also checked from vaccum leaks (none found). When Iwas pulling over the engine light came off and he said it will go on again as soon as I leave his shop (and it did) b/c he's sure its from the air filter. He asked me to put the K&N back and throw away the cheap paper filter I put (????) and it will turn off, if it won't my MAF probably got messed up, if that won't work, than it's the gas pump (and he really doubts that).

what do u guys think?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM

@widespread Hummer, I was looking into doing the same. How hard is it to do it? On the left where you pointed in the 1st picture I have the AIRBAG and felt a little insecure messing with that... (i have a 07 h3)

Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 PM

So mechanic advised me to put back the old air filter, and that this would solve the problem, if not its the MAF and if not its the gas pump.

So I did change the air filter and it turned off the light on the spot for a good 2 weeks, till I was running out of gas today (and I noticed this several times) and the light came on - SAME CODE... should I change that gas pump at this point? how much does it cost?

thanks guys

Old 02-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Okay back to reporting:

1- I am back to using the K&N and it's clean
2- just checked for any vacuum leaks - none found
3- cleaned MAF
4- injected it with sea foam

the light would go off for a week or two then come back again for a few days then same thing. Really weird. Do you think i need to replace the MAF and install a new one? I just dont want to stat throwing money at it w/o being sure what's wrong.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM

btw whats the oem filter for H3?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned

btw whats the oem filter for H3
14 bucks,,advance/az/walmart,,,,

it looks like the more u mess around, the more it gets messy huh?

Last edited by drtom; 02-26-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM

yeah! seriously...

I bought a new MAF and after cleaning the old one and retightning (more like over tightening) everything the light is off. I will install the new MAF once the light is off. They said they will accept the return as long as I don't put it in (is there a way for them to find out???)

fingers crossed

Quick Reply: Give the peace of mind