PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Give the peace of mind

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 AM

Ah I heard of them but didn't the k they would b accurate. I got an IPhone I'll give it a shot

Old 12-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by garnaout
Guys to be honest answering this question asked at the beginning, from my personal experience I got this hummer with low mileage like 2 months ago an been in and out at the mechanic for different reasons more than 5 times. The reasons were typical problems common with the Hummer. Do you really think they r that efficient? I have owned a Toyota for 5 years with high mileage and never seen a mechanic and I barely take care of it
Out of curiosity, what problems have you had specifically?

I bought mine used a few months back (08- 36k) and initially had a few issues that popped up:

1) I had the stab. trac. failure codes show up. After finding the cause on this forum, I had the encoder motor replaced under warranty and a program re-flash.

2) I also got a new radiator under warranty due to a hairline crack developing next to the rub mark from the support which I wouldn't have noticed without the heads-up info I found here. Afterwards, I removed about 1/4" of the lip from the offending support with a cut-off wheel and painted the edge with factory touch-up paint.

3) At my request the dealership also replaced the front brake lines due to the brake fitting corrosion issue referenced on this forum.

All three issues were quickly identified and resolved in large part to the info I found on this forum, so a big thanks to all of you guys for making it an easy warranty repair.
Dealership was great to deal with and gave me a loaner as well. All parts done in a couple days.

Any time you buy used, there is a possiblity of it needing some immediate work.

The internet age tends to be a two bladed sword. There is so much info available on forums like this one making diagnosis much easier, but at the same time, forums such as these tend to have many threads on problem issues (which is their main purpose) which can lead a person to feel they have bought a vehicle with problems. Most all vehicles on the road have quirky problems. Just go to any random model forum and you'll find the same type of issues.

Once you get the inital bugs worked out, you'll have a very capable and reliable vehicle.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks and I hope u are right/ I've been having issues with rough idling / occasional stalling (due to rough idling) that Dan from te forum helped me with ad it was a dirty TBD. I also had a cracked radiator that was leaking coolant so I changed it with the original one.

In less then a week the engine was misfiring and I got an engine light and apparently the spark plugs failed so I replaced them. Yesterday engine light came back with a po171 code. So now it could be the MAF or the o2 sensor

All this in three weeks so u can see where I'm coming from

Old 12-31-2011, 07:49 AM

Boy it really sounds like the "hiccup" is being moved down the line. Plugs>TB>MAF>O2, as Doc stated in the other thread about head issues, I would start to wonder if its not a computer problem.

I would be extremely frustrated if I were you. Especially with it being a Hummer, it seems anytime I have had a problem, my co-workers etc were quick to jump on the fact that its a Hummer and you "should have know better" which is complete BS, but people like to pile on. Couple that with a dealer that kind of treats you like a douche and it may leave you feeling like you made a $20K mistake that you should have known better about.
Some cars are crap, no doubt about it, and its not a reflection on your decision making abilities. So while your getting this straightened out, try to remove the emotional attachment to the situation, you are going to feel about it if you remember its not really your fault.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Mechanic said that the MaF sensor was dirty and cleaned it. He didn't reset my OBD and said that it should turn off automatically. Is that true?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Should be true, shouldn't need to reset... However your telling me he cleaned the SAMETHING I had you clean...? There's something else going on here... Maybe you didn't let it sit long enough, spray enough? Or maybe the intake tube is dirty itself, I wonder if it was run w/o an air filter in it for long, or possibly one with a hole in it... Hmmm

Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by rsc
Do you have iPhone or Android? You can download apps that use the phone and ELM327 OBDII adapters to do all that. From $5-150 for the app and $15-45 for the adaptor/s. Torque Pro for android is one I'm looking at and its $5 for the app plus a $15 OBDII/miniUSB interface on amazon, or spend a little more for a bluetooth capable adaptor.
I went to download it, but found out my tab wasnt registered on the android market. I may have to root it or just get a scanguage. Sorry, cant tell you how it worked out.

Last edited by rsc; 01-02-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 PM

Dagkana, I cleaned the air filter after we cleaned the MAF and the mechanic said that it got it dirty. This makes me wonder it should hv happened right away.

Light still on today but absolutely no symptoms , what do u think I should do?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:31 AM

See if it does clear itself... Sometimes it takes a few starts/miles of use before going away... If its still on tomorrow I would go to Autozone and have them run the code and clear it for you... I would inspect the air filter just to be on the safe side... Also I have the K&N filter, when I go to clean mine I cycle in one that I thoroughly cleaned and let sit overnight after oiling, I have 3 filters, simply because whenever I go on offroading trips it's good to have a backup w/ those filters. 2 should be sufficient for you... Or just do it at night when you don't have to go anywhere...

Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Engine light just turned off... Hope u guys won't hear of me anytime soon lol
Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Give the peace of mind