PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Give the peace of mind

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by garnaout
Inclined??? You are talking to a guy who just fixed a car that 2 mechanics couldn't fix - With no help AT ALL lol

Peak/Rear view wireless back-up camera system with 3 1/2 in. built-in monitor (PKC0RG) | Back-Up Camera System | AutoZone.com

this looks awesome!! does it synch in with my existing mirror??
Thats the one to go with. The cheaper one with monitor is not very good at all. This one also gives you the normal feel of looking into your rear view mirror not off to the side or down on console to back up.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:53 PM

V8-H3 sounds like you have one already, how bad was the install? Did you just have to disconnect the stock mirror and unclip the wires for the Onstar? Or was there more too it?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 PM
rsc

The PDF for that mirror shows that it is a slip-on unit. There are straps that attach it over the front of your existing mirror. Could be an issue if you like the Bluetooth buttons on your mirror like they are or if they keep getting pressed by the new mirror.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 AM

It slips on over the existing mirror??? no thanks.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 AM

Anyone uses the onStar system still? Is there anyway I could use it as a car kit for my iPhone using bluetooth ?

Old 12-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
V8-H3 sounds like you have one already, how bad was the install? Did you just have to disconnect the stock mirror and unclip the wires for the Onstar? Or was there more too it?
On my 07 I used the Gentex rear view camera and mirror and on my 08 I have the factory installed mirror.
It took right around an hour to install the Gentex. Very easy and great display. Always get comments on how neat it is when mirror turns on.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Guys just to be sure, while installing that wireless camera, following the instructions, I connected the positive cable to the REVERSE light 's positive and negative to negative to power up the transmitter and the camera. However, I noticed that the reverse light cable is also connected to the brake or some other light. The camera works perfectly (monitor ONLY turns on when I put reverse) however occasionally i see the monitor turning on into a blue screen then off. Do you think it's normal bc it's a cheap camera or is there something I did wrong???

btw did u guys know that buying it from Autozone it comes with a $40 rebate?

Old 12-16-2011, 05:30 PM

When you hit the brakes it briefly gives power to the camera which turns on the monitor but by the time it catches up the camera is back off.

Last edited by Widespread Hummer; 12-17-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Garnaout which system did you end up getting?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 PM

Hey Dag just to let you know, I have the Peak system with the 3.5" seperate monitor and license plate cam from one of the chain stores. I have had it about a year and it has worked flawlessly. I mounted the monitor up just to the left of my mirror so it overlaps the edge of the mirror and cut the cig lighter connection and found a hot wire under the dash. I tucked all the wires for the monitor in the headliner and pillar cover, very clean. I didn't like the camera over the plate so I put it directly on the bumper above the hitch. It is wired into the lights so I have the option of turning it on whenever I want. The only downside is I have to turn the monitor off when I'm done using it but that was my choice. The hotwire for the monitor comes on with ther ignition and was an extra under there. Backing up is awesome but the best part is hooking a trailer first shot every time without bumping anything. Sounded like you may be looking.

Quick Reply: Give the peace of mind