PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

ghost in my machine

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Default ghost in my machine

came across a tranny slip the other day, that hasn't happened since, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it and if so, what kind of catastrophe it led to. going from 2nd to 3rd, not mashed or winding up the rpm, i noticed a split second of what sounded like no third gear, then a normal (sloppy) shift. happened about 4 times in a row that i noticed, but hasn't happened again. surface street, doing less than 40, nothing different than i do every day. had been on the road for maybe 1/2 hour, not excessively hot outside or anything. i just know it's going to come back, but if i face toward the dealership, it will go away again. if anybody knows what to look out for, i'd appreciate you sharing. thanks

Old 09-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Default RE: ghost in my machine

Haven't had that problem myself, luckily '[:@]'

Old 09-21-2005, 12:40 PM

one of the guys on another forum had his tranny and cooling system swapping fluid, but it just turned his coolant to mud as he continued adding tranny fluid. guess it just gave up the ghost all at once after a while. i've been paying attention lately, and it hasn't been happening, so no idea what's up with it.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:44 PM

Well, hope you don't have that problem anymore

Old 09-21-2005, 12:58 PM

hope it doesn't pop up pulling the camper next weekend. going with a friend that has an H1, so if my tranny breaks, he can just tow everything. then he'll only do 20mph instead of 25.. . . [8D]

Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 PM

I havnt had it happen in the H2 but I have had it happen in my work truck. Chevy 1 ton with the same motor as the H2. I know exactly what your experiencing. It almost feels like the tranny went into nuetral for a couple seconds. I have had it happen probably a half dozen times over the past year and a half. I dont think it is doing any damage, I just think its an occosional slip. Maybe the computer or something like that, nothing mechanical thats broken. But thats just my opinion. I have had no other tranny failure signs and it continues to run strong. But of course its just my work truck and I havnt paid to much particular attention to it. If it were the H2 I would probably freak out!! I really dont believe its something to feeak out over but keep in tune with it and watch for it again. Maybe your dealership could fill you in on something.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:26 PM

thanks intercooled, nice to see it's not just the bus. one suggestion i got was a possible air bubble, since i've just had the fluid changed about 2k miles ago. it still runs like it always had, and hasn't happened again. i'm sure my local dealer would be happy to offer a suggestion, after my $100 deductible and an hour of my time to tell me they couldn't find anything. unless i know it's broken, i won't go in, they're the only dealer in 200 miles and know it.