PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Getting new tires, need some opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Default Getting new tires, need some opinions.

Okay, here's my delimma.

I really wanted the 315s, but my local shop was running a deal on the general grabbers in the 285 size....I bought those and am getting them mounted on Tuesday. I am having a bit of buyers remorse.

I am never off road. However, winters here are remarkably rough, and my commute to work is about 1.5 hours. I drive up, pull two 24 hour shifts, and drive home.

The price difference between the 285s and the 315s are astronomical. The only way I could get the 315s would be to get 4 and put the spare on later.

Will I be happy with the 285s? Will I drop 800 bucks for five tires, mount, balance, and alignment and be unhappy?

My choices are as follows:

Go in Tuesday, and get the five generals mounted and balanced.

Go in Tuesday and say I want four 315s, and get the spare later.

Will the 315s really be difficult to commute that far with?

I guess my real question is, are 35s really worth the extra coin for someone like myself in my driving situation?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2010, 11:12 PM

285's will be fine on the H3. With the full time 4WD you shouldn't have that much of a problem. If its really bad just take it slow. (good advice even for 315's) Granted the 315's would probably be better 3-4 months out of the year your money is probably better spent on the 5 tires. Sounds like you got a hell of a deal on the package. I'd smile and drive away happily knowing that:

1) I got a great deal on 5 tires.

and

2) If I do have a flat in a bad winter storm I wont be stuck there too long because I'll have a spare to change it and get home.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:52 PM

Thanks man, that helps. It really is a great deal. Total for 5 grabbers plus alignment and oil change was 825.14.

Total for 4 315s without alignment or oil change would be around 910.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:27 AM

Tackett, sorry to be a stick in the mud... but I would see what the difference in price would be for 305s... its a 33" tire just wider than the 285s... The price is decent but Ive seen better... I go to a local garage and slip the tire guy a $20 spot and he balances and mounts my tires for me... and oil change can be a cheap as $15 the alignment is a sore subject and ive seen shaddy practices on that so I would be careful...

The other thing is Ive never read reviews on the general grabbers, they are generally a cheaper tire... tire rack has the 305s @ 166ea Not knowing where you live you can find pickup locations/terminals and save on shipping... just my .02 and playing devils advocate here...

Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM

my roommate has 265 general grabbers on his wrangler and they did pretty with all the snow we had last year. i would stick with the 285s for now, and if you get into the offroad lifestyle, buy the 315s then.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:22 PM

My shop trucks usually run a set or two of generals. I get 50k out of them and rotating is a must. Rotate every 12k miles would be ideal. Or every 3 oil changes.

You got a good deal for sure.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Ok, I went with the 315s. I love them. Completely changes the entire look of the truck! I got 4 and the spare is on order. The guy putting my tires on told me to do something about the rear bumper clearance for the spare tire, he swears up and down that the 315 spare will not fit. I told him that I've seen plenty of pics of people with 315 spares mounted with no issues. Has anyone had any problem with fitment of the spare? If so how did you overcome it?

Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tackett
I am never off road.
I guess my real question is, are 35s really worth the extra coin for someone like myself in my driving situation?
IMHO, no, you're better off with 33s (assuming you are talking about the same tire, just in different sizes). Look around at all the tire size threads, you'll find everything from power and mpg is almost the same to noticeable power loss and 4 mpg less with bigger tires. Since you don't offroad, the only possible benefit to larger tires is the look.

edit: I didn't realize you had gone with 315s when I posted this reply. Oops.

Last edited by skeptic; 11-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Pics or it didnt happen!

Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tackett
Ok, I went with the 315s. I love them. Completely changes the entire look of the truck! I got 4 and the spare is on order. The guy putting my tires on told me to do something about the rear bumper clearance for the spare tire, he swears up and down that the 315 spare will not fit. I told him that I've seen plenty of pics of people with 315 spares mounted with no issues. Has anyone had any problem with fitment of the spare? If so how did you overcome it?
315's WILL fit in the factory spare location, with no problem.
There is nothing to worry about

Quick Reply: Getting new tires, need some opinions.