PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Geared hub seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Default Geared hub seal leak

I just noticed some oil leaking out of my right rear hub where the half shaft goes in. it hits the tire, and sprays it a little. How much of a job is this, and should I look for any other seals in that area? Is it the green seal that the dealership parts guy mentioned to me? Any info or links to info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, how long could I go without causing too much damage? I just noticed it about 50 miles or so ago. Can I hust add oiltill it gets warmer here in Cleveland? How much is there in reserve?

I'm in the process of installing a goldenfuelsystems SVO conversion. I just keep getting sidetracked byother stuff.

I have the complete service manual in pdf form, if someone knows just where to look first, thanks.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Default RE: Geared hub seal leak

That is the geared hub input seal... its is the more difficult out of the 2 seals to replace in the geared hub... It also is the most damaging since no lub in your hubs = bad... not only for metal to metal wear but heat in general as well... Also you want to look at the spindle seal as well when this seal goes you will slowly loose air in your tires since the air will be let out into the ventilation system(usually can tell by a hiss at the air intake)
As for how long you can go all depends on how bad the leak is and how often you want to refill your hubs.
Here is a link to tell you how to replace both the seals(I got it readily avail because I plan on replacing my spindle seal as soon as weather permits)
http://www.flashoffroad.com/Maintena...ealReplace.htm

Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 PM

looksgreat. I have a couple of ??s. First, my leak seems to be on the inside (input?) side of the geared hub. I don't think that I've lost more than an ounce or so of fluid, judging by the oil pattern. Where is the fill hole located (Right Rear hub)? I'm not loosing air in the rear tires at all, which I presume is a good sign. Fronts leak down slowly though. The author of the post suggests using his "new clampnut socket" is this a special AMG tool. I don't have one. Do I need it? Where can I get it?. I'm assuming that I might as well replace the spindle seal at the same time, yes???

Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:45 PM

Since it is a oil leak it is the input seal... If its an Air leak its a spindle seal.
As for fill hole it is located on the flat plate right near the tie rod end... there is one for each hub.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Call dennis at Kascar and buy the military seals. He will sell you the seal and the locknut screw.I bought 2 of each incase I screwed up. Also get the seal in the steering cover, I didn't and after I fixed the oil leak I had created my air leak just as you describe. I bought the spindle nut socket at Advance Auto , its the front wheel hub socket from a older ford truck. You hav e to cut off one of the tabs with a dremel or I used a 4" grinder. Also you will need a torque wrench to measure if the locknut screw holds.If you can chage oil and sparks plugs in cars you can do this repair. A tech manual helps a lot. Kevin at Independence Hummer 704 971 3400 sells them for $50 for the cd. Actually he can sell you all the parts if you need to order the cd, just tell him you want the 1 piece seals ( +/- 15.00 EACH) that Dennis at Kascar sells.Its a great feeling to fix your own and all the guys on these sites will help you like best friends do.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 AM

uhmmm i wonder if the military seals are different from the civilian ones... because the civy ones suck! i get a airleak all the time when the weather gets cold... bad material i guess

Old 01-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

I replaced mine on the 97 wagon about 2 years ago and have had no issues. Guess that is another benefit to living in Socal.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:45 PM

damn you :P
but yea i always seem to loosea seal around winter time... but I think it also might be due to dunking my hubs into water that has like 1" thick of ice over it.....

Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

That could have something to do with it. I've seen your videos, your seals are going to go faster than most peoples. Keep having fun Injun.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:27 PM

Yup, I just cant wait till i get a garage so I dont have to slow down too much in the winter.... but yea last winter right after a run is when my 1st seal went... but i had like 1.5" thick ice blocks ontop of my hood during one obsticle.... and yes I was wheeling alone(no other rigs but a h1 loaded with people) at like 2am hah!