PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gearbox and Coolant Temperature on H2 2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:47 PM

Depends on how big of a hill it is.

Depending on the hill and if i'm towing something my 2008 may drop a gear or two unless i'm towing something heavy.

EX I towed a car and car trailer about 350-400 miles and my trans temperature didn't go above 205 degrees and this was when the outside temperature was in the 80's.

I was traveling 70-80 MPH so I was getting a lot of natural air currents through the trans cooler, and radiator.

I wonder if your cooling fans are working properly?

Since it's cold out now as you mentioned you may not have a chance to check it, but should it happen pull over and pop the hood, and see if your electric fans are spinning.

It could also be that your torque converter isn't locking up as mentioned above.
This will cause temperatures to rise if it's driven under a load.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by yrkdmaxh2
I wonder if your cooling fans are working properly?
Since it's cold out now as you mentioned you may not have a chance to check it, but should it happen pull over and pop the hood, and see if your electric fans are spinning.
Yes, they are working. one time, when the temperature went up, I checked and it was spinning (both)

It could also be that your torque converter isn't locking up as mentioned above.
This will cause temperatures to rise if it's driven under a load.
How can I check this? what do you mean by LOCKING?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 AM

How did you clean the radiator? Did you just wash dirt through the fins with air or water? Drain, flush with a hose and refill or
did you take the radiator out and have a radiator shop remove the tanks and run rods through the cooling passage. The way you describe your symptoms sounds like the radiator is plugged internally and only has marginal cooling capacity.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
How did you clean the radiator? Did you just wash dirt through the fins with air or water? Drain, flush with a hose and refill or
did you take the radiator out and have a radiator shop remove the tanks and run rods through the cooling passage. The way you describe your symptoms sounds like the radiator is plugged internally and only has marginal cooling capacity.
I took it to a radiator shop. It was dismantled and he cleaned it with rods... it was clean in all cases. nothing blocked.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Thanks for clarifying, he did it right.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by faresmotors
Yes, they are working. one time, when the temperature went up, I checked and it was spinning (both)

How can I check this? what do you mean by LOCKING?
When a torque converter is "locked" it engages a clutch disc built into the torque converter so it is "locked" in synch with engine. Theoretically at least. Some times there is still a little slip designed in so you don't feel the NVH.

When the torque converter slips it adds heat to the fluid from the friction of the fluid and the torque converter veins.

More and more slip will really increase the heat.

Most if not all tow modes will try to lock the torque converter to eliminate the slip.

Check by giving us the RPM's at a said MPH and comparing it with other peoples H2's

Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 AM

Check by giving us the RPM's at a said MPH and comparing it with other peoples H2's
Drive mode? Flat road?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by faresmotors
Drive mode? Flat road?
yes sir. That will be able to tell us if your locked in or not.

I forgot to ask, do you have a check engine light?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 PM

yes sir. That will be able to tell us if your locked in or not.
ok, will note several values / rpm and will keep you posted

I forgot to ask, do you have a check engine light?
From time to time... related to catalyzer

Old 12-09-2017, 12:15 PM

ok... today i checked the car on TECH 2. here are the errors i got from the transmission module DTC / Solenoid data:

Please advise.

DTC 1/4
DTC 2/4
DTC 3/3
DTC 4/4
Solenoid DATA

Solenoid DATA

Quick Reply: Gearbox and Coolant Temperature on H2 2008