PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gas station fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Default Gas station fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqnSauID5Ig

As a truck driver who delivers gas to gas stations, this is my greatest fear, both on and off the job. The cause of the fire in this video is from the static electricity developed between the driver's clothes and the upolstery in the car when she gets back in her vehicle after she starts the pump, then not grounding herself to the car before grabbing the pump handle. The simple act of shutting the car door, grabbing the door to help her get out, or placing her hand on the roof at the door could have prevented this. Better yet, she should have stood there while the pump was running. The pump handle is a mechanical device, and as such, it is capable of malfunctioning. They don't always turn off when the car is full and need to be monitored while in use.

Had this station been busier, or had a fuel delivery been in progress during this event, the outcome could have been significantly worse. Other drivers getting fuel would have placed more vapor in the air, and her fire could have flashed back to the other pumps causing a huge fire possibly burning down the station. If a delivery had been in progress, there could have been enough vapor in the air to cause an explosion, injuring or killing people in the area.

I am posting this for your information, and to make my job safer.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Default RE: Gas station fire

She was a lucky young lady..that's for sure.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM

At least she didn't freak out and just yank the nozzle with the gas still flowing like many others do. I think she handled the situation she created quite well. And I can definitely see why this is a fear of yours, it is mine too and I have no other connection to it than being a consumer! I will admit I do get back in the truck on cold days but damnit it is SOO easy to just touch the pump or the roof and get that staticout of your body!

Old 07-07-2007, 08:54 PM

WOW..SHE IS VERY LUCKY.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 AM

I have never figured out why people get back in thier cars when getting gas. It takes no more than about 3 minutes on average to deliver the gas you are buying. Even at -70 you could stand out there naked for that long before getting hypothermia, so if you are dressed appropirately for your environment those few minutes should be no big deal. It takes more energy to open the car door and sit down, then get out and walk back to the pump when it clicks than to stand there, so lazyness cant be it.
Maybe my perspective is skewed because it takes me awhile to deliver and I must stand outside for the whole thing, or because it takes me about 10 minutes to fill the truck back up after a day's use and I am outside for all of that too.