PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gas Quality being delivered to the station

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Default RE: Gas Quality being delivered to the station

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 PM

unless you get it from the bottom of the tanker that where all the crap is and the no name gas station get that.
I only use Shell or Mobil
One time i used Sunoco and my truck ran like ****.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:34 PM

Ok, now that I am home from delivering a total of34,700 gallons of gas today, I'll set it all strait. Dennis has a great memory, or he knows how to search better than most. At the refinery all gas is equal regardless who refines it. It all must meet federal minimum standards to be put into the pipeline. From there it goes to a local bulk fuel storage facility that may be owned by any of the major nation wide oil companies, or owned by a small regional company. As it sits in the bulk tanks, it is still the same as it was when it left the refinery. When the truck pulls in to load a load of gas, then the additives are put in as it loads into the truck. If the load is going to be delivered to a generic station, say, Costco, Kroger, or Jim Bob's Gas and Service Station, then it gets a generic additive package that contains the minimum required detergents and additives by law for the local area that it will be delivered to. If it is going to a Shell, Chevron/Texaco, BP/Arco, Unical/Conoco/Phillips 66, then it gets the specific branded additive package for that particular brand. As it turns out, companies such as Arco, and Conoco/Philips in my area, buy sub grade gasoline. This means they buy what doesn't quite make the grade as far as octane for the pipeline. This is generally around 85 octane. They get this at a discount price, add up to 10% ethanol to it to boost the octane, and if it doesn't quite make the minimum 87 octane requirement, then they mix 92 octane with it to bring it up to 87. The mixing of 92 is not that big of a deal, since that is how 89 octane is made anyway, roughly a 1/3 2/3 mixture.
As far as buying a load of dirt and crap with your gas, older staions will tend to have more crap in thier tanks because of thier age, and the fact that gravity seems to make things fall into the below ground tank when the lid is off. Also, not every carrier keeps clean tanks on thier trucks, or if the delivery truck in question was used on a pump out, where someone had to suck all of the gas out of a station tank, then some of the crap from that tank may still be in the truck and delivered to your station. All of the pumps at the station have filters to remove the big junk, but the little stuff still gets by. The moral here is, buy your gas from newer stations when possible, or from a good older station that you know and trust to have clean tanks.
As far as the name on the door of the truck, don't worry about that. The company I work for has delivery accounts with all of the major national chains, and a lot of the local chains as well. We will deliver to a national station one day, and thier company truck will deliver there the next. In fact, in our area, if you see a Shell truck, it is actually one or ours all dressed up to look like a Shell truck. This happens all over the country.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 PM

I don't use the stinking search function.......