PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gas millage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 PM
Default Gas millage

I have a 2006 H3. The previous owner had the head problem and it was fixed under warranty. When i first got my H3 (in the fall) i got 16.5-17 mpg. I'm a pretty conservative driver and always have been. The way i remember it was, i could safely drive 300 miles and the needle would just be to the E line. Then over the winter i started getting around 15. My car stays in at night and i don't let it sit idle to warm up or anything. Now over the past few weeks or so, my H3 has been getting to 300 miles and showing 1/4 of a tank left. I checked my mileage and i'm getting just a touch over 18! In the 15,000 miles i've had it ihaven't really changed much about how i drive or where. I haven't done any performance mods, and change my oil about every five thousand using synthetic. I'm definitely not complaining but has anyone else experience anything like this?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Default RE: Gas millage

Im just curious but is your 3 completely stock or do you have some mods done to it.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 PM

With the exception of the stereo and a little chrome, it is straight out of the box.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:47 PM

You lucky dog! Wish something like that would happen to my 14 MPG.
Have you changed the brand of gas you buy or have they switched the gas formula up north yet?

Old 04-30-2008, 03:51 PM

Thats Crazy I definately wish something like that would happen with mine I am lucky if i get 280 a tank and all I have is wheels and a 33"s oh well I guess.Are you putting premium gas in opposed to regular?

Old 04-30-2008, 07:32 PM

5 speed or auto?

Maybe the fuel line magnets were out of alignment this winter but they came back into place during your last car wash or someting. That would definitely explain it.[8D]

Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Reformulated winter gas along with lower battery cranking voltage and the higher-viscosity of engine oil contribute to lower gas milage in the winter months. As the weather warms, internal engine conditions improve along with the availability of summer gasoline blends. This could help explain the mileage variation you're seeing.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:10 PM

Nah i just use standard gas. But i tend to think it has to do with what Patches said. That makes the most sense. Either that or the magnets are back in alignment. Then again it could have something to do with global warming.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:19 PM

I did notice that while it was very cold here I seemed to have lost almost 2 MPG. Since it has warmed up I'm back up to my 14-15 MPG.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Patches

Reformulated winter gas along with lower battery cranking voltage and the higher-viscosity of engine oil contribute to lower gas milage in the winter months. As the weather warms, internal engine conditions improve along with the availability of summer gasoline blends. This could help explain the mileage variation you're seeing.
That's it right there. It's the blends.

H34me

Quick Reply: Gas millage