PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Default gas gauge

Ahhh, after several long years playingthe ol' "gas gaugeroulette" (see how far you can continuedriving with the low fuel light on), it finally happened, i ran out of gas.

FYI, for those that unconsciously, or consciously, "play the game" from time to time, theH3 gauge needle doesn't go further "past the red" in low fuel zonemore towards "E".

I was running around with a friend when the low fuel light came on and was keeping an eye on the gauge. Thought I could keep pushing it a little longer as theneedle appeared to be in the "mid-red region"so i thought i could make it a few more milesor so til the next station. The H3 calledmy bluff and clunk, clunk........nada. Good thingi was only about50 yards toa station.

Oh well, silly to "play" at my age, but just couldn't resist.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Default RE: gas gauge

that gauge will fool ya. but it is not good to run your gas that low as you pick up trash from the bottom of the tank and you fuel pump if internal will notlast as it will run dry and hot. i learned that lesson a long time ago. and it cost me big $$$$$

Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

They don't make a fuel pump like they used to, that's for sure. Used to be a cheap and easy fix, not anymore. [:@]

Old 11-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

I never have that problem.... since I drive a 2 anytime I dip below half a tank I start looking for a station.... and the distance to empty is accurate... that low fuel light comes on around 3 gallons left and the DTE says 35-40 miles... about 28 miles it says LOW....

Old 11-12-2007, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

I never have that problem.... since I drive a 2 anytime I dip below half a tank I start looking for a station.... and the distance to empty is accurate... that low fuel light comes on around 3 gallons left and the DTE says 35-40 miles... about 28 miles it says LOW....
H3's dont have a DTE but the low fuel light does come on with about 3 gallons left..I have pushed my luck before but so far my luck has not run out

Old 11-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

you're due..... especially with winter here.....

Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

you're due..... especially with winter here.....
yep..Iprobably just jinxed myself [&:]

Old 11-13-2007, 07:17 PM

Newbie here,...first post.

I just completed a test on the gas guage,...for mileage.

Had the 2006 H3 serviced,..dealer replaced an exhaust cam position sensor,..changed the oil. 15,000 miles on the odo.

I had the alignment checked and carefully setat zero toe.

Topped off the gas with midgrade BP/Ammoco and started normal driving. I'd say 70% city, 30 highway. But 1/2 of the city driving was cruizing on 50 mph main roads with well timed lights at fairly steady speeds.

So going from;
full to 3/4 tank took 90 miles
from 3/4 to 1/2 took 90 miles
1/2 to 1/4 took 60
1/4 to "low fuel" indicator took 71
from there to needle fully in the red another 9
ran out of gas at 360.5 miles and coasted another .2 miles (had 3 gallons in the car with me).
(note,...1/4 tank to empty was 120.5 miles)

MPG average was 15.84 when I filled up.

From completely topped off, it went to
3/4 tank at 90 miles
1/2 tankat 180
1/4 tank at 240
"low fuel" at 311
needle fully in the red at 320
came to a stop at 360

So basically the guage is off a chunk at 1/4 tank. Each 1/4 tank should be 90 miles,..and itIS, except for at 1/4 where it reads 240 instead of 270. If I were to draw a new 1/4 full marker on the gauge, about 3/16 farther down from where it is now,....the gauge would read correctly.

I added what it took to fill up the car to the 3 gallons I put in it when I ran out to find both the fuel mileage,..and the tank capacity. (included mileage to the station in MPG calc).

With the car parked leaning slightly to the right,..I was able to get 19.82 gallons in it,..that with the 3 gives me a capacity of 22.8 gallons to gas-cap full.(all the way up the gas filler neck). So if it really does get 20 mpg on the highway,...I should be able to get 456 miles out of a tank before it stops.

I'm going on a road trip next week with it,...so I'll let you know. 75 mph for 1,400 miles should get a good solid idea of what it does.

Interestingly,..the speedometer is right. In most cars it is optimistic,.. I checked it with a hand-held GPS. With the speedo at an indicated 80,...the GPS read 79.5.

Also,..I had a slight tinkle sound from the engine when new (detonation). The dealer said GM was aware of the problem but didn't have a fix. (They said they thought it might be a problem with the counter-ballance shafts) They noted it in my records. (whoopie)

I started using mid-grade and it went away (guess it wasn't the counter-ballance shafts huh?). A friend borowed the car for a few weeks recently. (He's an engineer with a GM supplier and has a laptop with ecu software etc). He said it was pulling timing with regular grade,..and not with midgrade. No difference going from mid-grade to 93 octane. (Gets better mileage with mid-grade). He also found .3 grams more on the mass-flow sensor with the airbox lid off. (I found no gain from that HP wise on the ole butt-dyno,..and the honking made my head hurt,..so lid stays on).

Old 11-13-2007, 09:50 PM

i've gotten 360 a few times without running out, my "calculator" comes out to 17~18 mpg every tank full

Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 PM

course we don't drive 80 miles an hour like most of ya on the mainland (might missa peekat thehula girls walkin by)

Quick Reply: gas gauge