PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gap between Bump Stops?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Default Gap between Bump Stops?

Added Bilsteins and 1/2" Extended Bump Stops today (Leveled it previously).

It's sitting at 24" from center of wheel to fender... yet the bump stops are touching the A-Arm... actually one has a tiny gap but the other side seems to be resting on it...

Both sides are at 24"... will this be a problem with the bump stops touching?

Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM

it shouldn't be... but are you sure you got the 1/2"? I believe the measurement... PIA to get with the wheel on, is taken from the tip of the bump stop to the start of the base plate that holds it in place...

ive heard of this before, but can't recall if it was on this forum or one of the others...

Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
it shouldn't be... but are you sure you got the 1/2"? I believe the measurement... PIA to get with the wheel on, is taken from the tip of the bump stop to the start of the base plate that holds it in place...

ive heard of this before, but can't recall if it was on this forum or one of the others...
Yeah the stops are definately the 1/2" stops... and I'm definately at 24" from center of hub to bottom of fender... not sure what's going on here.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Cranked the Torsion Bars 2 more turns to get them just under 24 1/2" each side and will have it aligned again tomorrow... I have about a 1/4" - 3/8" gap now on the Bump Stops.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 AM

psych0 get some pics up... most importantly look at the CV boots... if they are at extreme angles it will be a matter of time before they are done for... you'll want to grease them alot to prevent them from tearing... just my .02

Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 PM

I did the exact same thing you did and the 1/2" bump stops made my truck ride horribly. I put the old bumps back in and its much better. The front dives quite a bit when you brake but its better than feeling every bump in the road.

BTW, using a ratcheting tie down to remove the bump stops is way easier than using a screwdriver. wrap the tie down around the bump stop at one end, and around the cross member at the other end and tighten the strap... bump stop pops right out.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 PM

I raised the front to just under 24 1/2" last night. 2 additional turns each side and the ride height was exact on each side and the bump stops had at least a 1/4" - 3/8" gap.

Took it to firestone to get realigned (Lifetime Alignment is worth it for this reason)...
After driving it 20+ miles back home I remeasured. Drivers side was 24 5/8" and Pass Side was 24 3/4"

I'm hoping the shocks settle a bit from the install because I hate to have to play around with the torsion bars again and have to take it to get aligned again... damn!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by supsam86
I did the exact same thing you did and the 1/2" bump stops made my truck ride horribly.
Did you read the instructions where it says, if a harsh ride incurs, you should adjust the torsion bars accordingly....

Also, I put my bump stops in and there is a slight gap as well, but I also have my T-Bars cranked to almost 24.5, the Trail Duty instructions state, there might be a slight gap...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:30 AM

I have a very small gap on mine. I'm at 24", but I figured it was ok. I'm not 100% sure if my gap is 1/2". I hope i won't *** things up.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by TShepp
Did you read the instructions where it says, if a harsh ride incurs, you should adjust the torsion bars accordingly....

Also, I put my bump stops in and there is a slight gap as well, but I also have my T-Bars cranked to almost 24.5, the Trail Duty instructions state, there might be a slight gap...
yeah, i saw that but I put the shocks in about 2 hours before a road trip, didn't have time to have the alignment redone. And i like the current height.

Quick Reply: Gap between Bump Stops?