PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Functional hood vents finally done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kauaineb
well done installation job! not sure if i agree that it will benefit performance though..... of course there are some things on the truck the engineers couldve done alot better on.....
kauaineb, makes a very good comment.
My truck has been driven in very hot weather and it hasn't even gotten close to HOT. The louvers looks cool, but I wonder about benefit versus potential trouble.
I guess we could all come up with things that could have been better designed on these trucks, but I still love mine.

Last edited by wfturner; 07-19-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM

i drove to Vegas, 115 degrees, with 4 people up and over the mountain from san diego. I had to turn off the AC, temp was above 3/4 ! but i am not sure how much this would help.., but it might. Just the fact that they are "real" is cool though.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by branstone
Just the fact that they are "real" is cool though.
Couldn't agrees more

Now how to make the side scoops functional~

Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by 4u33er
Couldn't agrees more

Now how to make the side scoops functional~
The right scoop IS functional. However it is not a sealed system and probably pulls just as much air from around the fender well panel seams as from there. There is a thread where someone made it fully functional using flex hose from the fender up into the scoop. I think it also had a small tower and H1 top cap iirc. Pretty cool, but I'm not gonna be in deep enough water to need one though.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM

I've seen a couple of these installed...had to be removed due to rust near where the cross-members fit in the side. I'm assuming it's the same setup by the looks and the bolts. Are the cross members held in by separate screws? Is the thing super heavy?

Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM

I am going to agree with the others, I dont think it will be long before you have problems. Keep us updated as you are now a guinea pig for this

Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 PM

What kind of hood louver is it and how can I order one my 08 alpha tends to heat up and I would like to keep the temp down while I'm offroading

Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM

The one on the original post is a Zmag which has been discontinued. It was heady duty thick aluminum pcs that weight 25lbs.

I currently sold that and got me Realwheels unit.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:24 AM

So how is the H3 holding up now?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

My post from a related topic thread:

"Here are some tid bits to chew on. Food for though.

A vehicle with its hood removed will run hotter than with the hood in place.
Operating Temp of a water cooled vehicle is controlled by thermostat.
The air used to heat exchange at the radiator is drawn in from outside the underhood enclosure."

Trying to nicely say, net temp is determined by the effectiveness of the radiator coupled with the thermostat, air temp at the IN side of the radiator can impact water temp, air temp downstream does not.

Quick Reply: Functional hood vents finally done!