PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Functional H3 hood louvers

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:25 AM
Default Functional H3 hood louvers

I think this would be the best accessory for the H3. I really hate non-functional add-ons and there is already too much on the H3 , like the "air intakes", center cap lift handles, too much not needed plastic trim,.
Who here would buy hood louvers that worked and did not allow water to enter which should not be a big design problem?

Old 09-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Default RE: Functional H3 hood louvers

They do not make them.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:08 PM

On the Humvee/H1, the hood grill is needed for air flow through the steeply angled radiator. A functional hood grill would be a complete waste of time on the H3. Even if you went to the trouble, it would still be non-functional because it serves no purpose. The phony grate does improve looks. Considering how many non-functional appearance items there are on most vehicles, IMO there's nothing really wrong with that. But I wouldn't be surprised to see some outfit market a kit for a "functional" hood grate.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:20 PM

anything that takes the heat out of the engine compartment DOES serve a purpose

Old 09-11-2006, 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

True

I'd like to add that a functional grate would not be useless. The air coming through the grill would exit through the grate, as well as under the vehicle like it does now. I would suspect that it would exit much easier with the functional grate. After the egnine is shut off, it would have a faster cool down as well. For slow travel such as trail riding where you're not going fast enough to really force air out of the engine compartment, the grate would allow an air exit that is more "in line" with the air being moved by the fan. The faster you can get hot air out of the compatment, the quicker cool air can be drawn in. In other words, you want the exit of the air flow to match the entrance of the air flow as best a possible, so that the compartment stays at low temps.

However, you're going to have to cut a hole in your hood to make all this happen. Not to mention make or find the functional grate. It will allow rain etc to get into the engine compartment, when parked, but it really shouldn't be a problem. Going through water crossings, or muddy water crossing will probably let some spill in if enough of a wake is built up in front of the vehicle due to speed etc. I doubt all these are going to cause many issues, more than likely it will just create a "dirty" engine compartment condition, and nothing else. That depens of course on the environment you travel through etc. There is always the possibility that some sensors could have a reduced life span if they are subjected to water etc more often with this set up.. but I'm only guessing on that.

With all that said, I preffer to keep as much "gunk" out as I can. So I'll let the normal system do the work. I do believe there are gains to be had, but I also believe that unless you are going through extreme conditions, the factory set up will be sufficient.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:26 PM

Technically that may be theoretically true, IK, but there's a practical limit. An open grate in the hood wouldn't add any real world benefit. Intake air temp might be a tad less at very low speeds, but you need an isolated cool air inlet for that to be significant. I can't see cutting holes in a new $35K truck for a theoretical improvement. But as I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a functional louver kit advertised for those who want it.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: SedonaBoundH3

Technically that may be theoretically true, IK, but there's a practical limit. An open grate in the hood wouldn't add any real world benefit. Intake air temp might be a tad less at very low speeds, but you need an isolated cool air inlet for that to be significant. I can't see cutting holes in a new $35K truck for a theoretical improvement. But as I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a functional louver kit advertised for those who want it.
It sounds to me like your talking about heat as it apllies to the the temp of the intake air. That's not what I'm talking about, and I don't think it's what importkiller meant either.

There are gains, in terms of not over heating, as well as component life, by letting more air flow through the engine compartment. Hood louvers work, it's just that the gains from them might not be sustantial enough to merit the addition... or mess, in my opinion. Now, if you demand extreme use from your vehicle day in and day out, were every degree of reduced temp is important, it is a viable solution that will work.

Still think louvers don't work, try touching the hood of a vehicle that has them, and has been running. The hood will be cool, and the louvers will be very hot.

As for myself, I don't need the extra gains. I'd swap into an electric fan & free up some more engine ponies before I messed with the hood.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM

I trimmed the rear hood seal (near windshield) on either side. This lets lets some hot air escape the engine compartment. If you don't like it you can always slip the seal back on.