PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fuel Smart-8

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM

I have to agree, 10mpg! There is something wrong with your rig!

I have had 4 Alphas now and the worst got 11.75mpg, best got 14.25 (Non-OffRoad Package). ALL had 315s, BA bumpers, Winch, RR sliderz and roof racks with lights.

I would have spent the $300 on TB & MAF Cleaner, All fluid changes with synthetics and an hour or 2 of tech time to see why my rig sucks fuel.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM

This is what I learned from CHP...

from CHP:
The DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off). DFCO shuts your engine off by essentially cutting fuel causing your engine to be back driven from your movement through your drivetrain. DFCO is enabled at 49.7 MPH in 4th gear and is disabled when your speed drops below 38.5 MPH.

I am curious why you would buy something redundant to what your vehicle is already designed to do'or does this have other benefits?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

two completly different concepts. the gadget prob will cause trbl

Old 04-08-2012, 08:36 PM
CHP

Originally Posted by rsm
Hello fellow H3 lovers. Thought that I'd post on an upgrade that I'm doing to my H3 Alpha. Currently it has a pcmforless.com tuned computer, a leveling kit, 35" tires and a Gobi roof rack. I am adding on a gizmo called Fuel Smart-8. It is a computer which changes your engine to operate like a variable displacement engine by shutting off fuel to injectors which may not be necessary based on driving conditions. I just got the part in today and started going over it. As for quality it seems a little on the weak side with a plastic case the manufacturer reports as weather proof. The wires exiting the module go through a drilled whole with no rubber grommet to protect the wires or sealant to keep water out of the sensitive microprocessor. Aside from that, the component seems solid. Not recommended for a DIYer, however I am an electrician by trade and will be tackling this myself. I will keep you posted on my progress and the results of the product. Claims are of up to 22% raise in fuel mileage on highway, so we'll see.
The major problem is that the ECM does not know you are cutting out injectors. The cylinders with the cutout injectors will expose the pre-cat O2 sensors to more oxygen. The PCM will continue to run in closed loop, see the lean condition, and richen up the mixture. When the Fuel Smart is engaged, your Strims will initially rise and then your Ltrims will rise both indicating that more fuel is being added. You can only run this way for a short period (it could be only a few minutes) until the PCM sees a too lean condition and sets the CEL. There should be a timer on the Fuel Smart to limit the engagement time. When the Fuel Smart disengages, the Strims and Ltrims will eventually fall back to normal then the Fuel Smart can be re-engaged. My guess is that the EPA will shut these people down because when it is engaged emissions increase. Is there a CARB label on the box?

Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by CHP
Is there a CARB label on the box?

That's funny you think it came in a box!!! After hearing more and more about it and doing some research on my own. I'd say it came in an off brand resealable freezer bag and the "instructions" are on almost see through paper.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM

seems promising,thank you for reporting your finds

Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Tainter what were you able to find, i came up with nothing

Old 04-24-2012, 05:01 PM

I got one 2 weeks ago, works great , don't try to email them they never get back to you. call them (440) 724-3370. www.fuelsmart.info

Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by hummers12
I got one 2 weeks ago, works great , don't try to email them they never get back to you. call them (440) 724-3370. www.fuelsmart.info
WOW. Do you also have a ford? Almost word for word by a 1 post person on a ford site. Phone number and all.
And an -F- rating from the BBB too. Hmmmm.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Default C&P from BBB

On November 10, 2011 the BBB contacted this company regarding the advertised claim on its website, www.fuelsmart.info, which states "we guarantee fuel savings of 20%."

According to the BBB Code of Advertising, the primary responsibility for truthful and non-deceptive advertising rests with the advertiser. Advertisers should be prepared to substantiate any claims or offers made before publication or broadcast and, upon request, present such substantiation promptly to the advertising medium or the Better Business Bureau.

The BBB requested this company substantiate its fuel savings claim advertised on its website. In response, the company sent a report entitled "Progress Report on Clean and Efficient Automotive Technologies Under Development at EPA Interim Technical Report." The BBB contacted the company again and requested independent performance testing in order to substantiate the company's advertised claim. Additionally, the BBB requested substantiation of the advertised claim"our team of engineers with over 50 years of combined experience in automotive electronics has developed an after market patent-pending system that reduces fuel consumption by 20% on average" also found on its website. To date, the BBB has not received the requested substantiation. This report will be updated if more information becomes available.