PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

fuel leaking from solenoid at rear of inj pmp

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Default fuel leaking from solenoid at rear of inj pmp

HELP!!!

I was driving down the road today when my engine suddenly stalled. It wouldn't re-start. I noticed fuel spilling out the bottom of the engine. On further exaM, I noticed fuel leaking out of the solenoid on the rear of the inj pump. I don't think that it is the FSD, because the leak is actually at the solenoid itself. If the sol is replaceable, does anyone know what part# to look for?

I'm sitting at home waiting for the tow truck to bring the truck to me now.

If anyone has any insight, please respond or call me at 440-915-7815.

Thanks

Doug

Old 05-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: fuel leaking from solenoid at rear of inj pmp

PM hummech or call him at Tustin Hummer in Tustin, CA 714-669-3699. Ask for Mike S. He can answer you questions

Old 05-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Thanks. I talked to Mike. What a help (MUCH APPRECIATED!!!). Looks like I might have lost a seal on the back of the IP at the fuel solenoid. I hope that I can fix the seal without replacing the whole IP. But I have a bid on one on EBAY right now. If I get it, I'll swap them out , then try to find some sort of a rebulid kit, or maybe send the pump out to be rebuilt and tested. My next ???? is, Do I need to find a tech2 scan tool in order to get this truck running? If not, can I simply replace the IP without fussing with the timing too much?

I think that my veggie oil system may have had something to do with the blown seal. I have an isolated lift pump that puts out about 12-13psi. This might be too much for the system. I will either get a lower pressure pump, or install a pressure reducer ( I already have one, but I thought that it was ok at 12psi).

Thanks again for any info......

Doug

Old 05-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

I was thinking that you just remove the cover and align the timing marks....

I want to know too... I don't deal with these little diesel's much...

Old 05-10-2008, 05:56 PM

I have the repair manual on disk. It says that you need to RELEARN the TDC.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mike has been wrenching H1s since they came out. Doubt anyone in the country knows them better than he does.I knew he could help you.Mike we missed you in Last Chance Canyon Saturday. It was a lot of fun.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 PM

For further explanation of my problem, fuel is leaking out the back of the solenoid labeled "fuel solenoid" at the rear of the pump between the outlet ports. (seen in ths photo)://flashoffroad.com/Diesel/injectionpump/fsd.htm

Old 05-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

So are you up and running again?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM

No, I haven't had the time to pull the IP yet. It's cold and rainy today. My garage is jampacked. Any tips on removal of the IP?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM

you will need the tech2 to set the injection pump timing. you have to index the pump when you install into the injection pump drive gear. the injection pump has three bolts that attach it to the drive gear which you will see once you remove the oil filler tube. when you remove the three bolts there will also be an alignment pin which inserts into a guide hole in the gear. that is the only thing that you need to line up as far as the pump to the gear. you are not messing with the timing gear or the injection pump drive gear. you do not have to take any part of the front of the engine apart.

Quick Reply: fuel leaking from solenoid at rear of inj pmp