PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Front drive Axle Blow-by Leak at 80 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Default Front drive Axle Blow-by Leak at 80 MPH

Hi Everyone......

New here....

I have an H2/H3 since new, the H2 is a great Truck, but ever since We bought it, it has a Diff. Leak out of the Breather hose, it been to service 11 times for the Problem, they have installed the up-graded 3/8 hose breather on it with the Filter........It wont leak (blow-by) around town foror for a30 min. junt down I-95.

If you take it on a Long trip say 150 miles at 80 MPH within an hour it starts spewing oil out of the Front diff and starts smoking (oil on Muffler-pipe) Has anyone else had this problem, and if you have, what did you do to correct it.......

Im under the Impression the Diff is heating up and boiling the oil out, due to pressure build-up:
only a theroy at Present...........

Makes no Noise and runs like a Bat out of Hell........

It Hums at 80 +/ runs at its best at this speed....... 14 mpg

Thanks for your Replys..............RickLF

Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Default RE: Front drive Axle Blow-by Leak at 80 MPH

ANyone? I now have the same problem.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 PM

How many miles do you have on your truck. Sounds like its time for a Diff fluid change. What most people do not understand is that the diffs on H2s were not originally designed to be run all the time. They are the same diffs that go in all full size GM trucks that are Part-Time 4wd. Because power is constantly transferred to front tires you need to change the fluid in the diffs just like you would in your rear diff. I know that on alot of Part-time 4x4's you can really get away with never changing the front diff fluid depending on how much you use the 4wd.

Bottom line is change you diff fliud. Make sure you use the proper additives. That should solve the problems.

Eric

Old 07-03-2008, 07:16 AM

Hi Cisco.......

After many trips to the HUMMER Dealership.......they took my truck for a Week and found out that, the Full mark in the Diff. was to High, so they lowered the oil by an Inch in the Housing...along with a extended breather hose and a(3/8 Plastic Gas Filter) at the end of the Hose mounted by the Brake Master so you could see if there was any oil from the housing.......

During high speeds, long extended runs,the oil gets hot and expands and expells oil thru the vent hose, normal driving around town and small trips wont make it happen.......

It runs great now, no more oil down the sides of the truck,or oil smoke like an old run down car, that had people blowing the horn and Pointing at the smoke coming out at 80.......

Now when they change the oil in the Front diff. they know not to fill any of the H2's to the full level, on the front Diffentral........

At leased around here, in the Flat Lands, where the Speed Demons Live........Rick