PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fox Shocks Bushings Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Default Fox Shocks Bushings Help

Hello. I want to apologize before hand if this has already been posted. I tried searching for this topic but had no luck.

I ordered some new Fox Shocks for my 2006 H3 and they did not come with any bushings or nuts required for installation. The OEM bushings and nuts will not fit the Fox Shocks and I was wondering if anyone know of a replacement that I can get from a local store (Pepboys, Autozone, etc.). I was hoping to get this done this weekend so waiting until after Memorial Day weekend isn't favorable at this point. The online store where I had ordered these from will be closed until Tuesday, so calling them would be too late.

I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you so much!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 AM

Take the time and do the mod right. Contact Fox directly

Old 05-28-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the response. That's what I'm gonna end up doing. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM

How did you make out? Where did you order the shocks from that they didnt come with all the hardware required?

Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
How did you make out? Where did you order the shocks from that they didnt come with all the hardware required?
Hey there! I'm glad you ask! Because, now I've run into more problems. LOL. It's not too bad though. Alright, here's the update:

I originally ordered the shocks from Off Road Warehouse - (ORW). Apparently, Fox shocks for H3 (front shocks) don't come with bushings. You have to use the OEM bushings to install the new shocks. This is according to the manufacturer installation manual (after calling Fox and doing extensive research, this is what I found).

So, I get all the shocks installed and took it out for a test drive the next day. The FIRST railroad tracks I went over (same railroad tracks I cross everyday), the passenger front shock's STEM broke off. Again, I will post pics once I get everything together. So, I had to call ORW and they asked for pics, which I sent them.

Once ORW saw the pics, they called Fox Racing Sports and Fox told ORW that they are aware of the issue, therefore they discontinued these generation of shocks and are producing new ones to replace my generation of shocks. So...ORW asked me to send my one shock back and gave me credit towards the NEW shock.

Once those new shocks come in, I will post pics to help tell the whole story. I'm really sorry for the long explanation!

But the point is, in order to install the front Fox Racing Shocks on your H3, you need to use the OEM bushings. They were a pain to get off the old shocks but it can be done.

Hope this helps anyone who are looking into these shocks.

On another note: Aside from the broken stem from the one shock, the ride really IS a huge difference and it's such a better ride than the old shocks.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:28 PM

I'm trying to get this stright. So you send them back 1 broken shock and you get back a "set" of the new upgraded shocks? KOOL!

But, If you send them back the 1 broken shock and they send you back 1 upgraded shock then you still have 1 older style shock with the potential to break a shaft also!

Which one is it? I hope the first!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Default Update on front Fox Shocks Busings

Hello again,

I finally got my shocks problem fixed! I originally pose the question of getting the right bushings for my front shocks. Well, I found out that Fox Racing's instructions were to use the original OEM bushings to install the new front shocks.

So I did...

Name:  20120530_185121.jpg
Views: 2279
Size:  3.33 MB

Name:  20120530_185153.jpg
Views: 2142
Size:  2.49 MB

and once installed, looked like this:

Name:  20120601_103325.jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  2.85 MB

with a bracket:

Name:  20120530_191642.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  3.59 MB

holding the reservoir - which needed some drilling:

Name:  20120530_192413.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  2.68 MB

Name:  20120530_191338.jpg
Views: 3730
Size:  2.83 MB

which finally looked like this:

Name:  20120530_194221-1.jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  3.12 MB

After all the installations, however, I took it out for a test drive and drove over the first railroad tracks I came across...and this happened:

The stem broke off:

Name:  20120601_111024.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  3.43 MB

Name:  20120601_102418.jpg
Views: 2195
Size:  2.51 MB

Soooo, I had to call the retailer asking for an RMA. They were nice enough to do so...except they said that Fox is no longer making this model of the front shocks and that they are making a newer, better model. Except...I would have to wait 2 months to get the new shocks.

Well, the problem was...I had destroyed my OEM front shocks to take the bushings out in order to install the new Fox shocks...

Name:  20120530_201521.jpg
Views: 2175
Size:  3.03 MB

Soo...I thought, since Fox claimed (from previous post of mine) that they were aware of manufacturing defect of these shocks, I wanted to send my other front shock as well to get a set of the new model instead. Again, the retailer was nice enough to take my other Fox shock back (the one that wasn't broken). I was willing to wait for 2 months since I didn't need my car for a while...

Well, August arrives and no shocks. I called the retailer and they said that Fox decided to move their plant to the San Diego area so therefore, they couldn't produce any new shocks in the last 2 months..."it would take 2 more weeks", the retailer tells me. I waited for 2 more weeks...still no shocks.

At this point, I need shocks because my car had been sitting and I was getting sick of waiting...so I had them send me a set of these for the fronts:

Name:  20120904_172843.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  2.29 MB

and I got a refund of the difference...which saved me almost $300.

So my final set up: Bilsteins for fronts and Fox for rears.

Some say I should be livid and upset...but I have to say, it's been an interesting experience and I'm just glad I got my truck back and it now actually drives like a truck...not some mushy box which is all I can ask for.

I apologize this was so long but I hope this helps somebody out in case they run into a retailer that still sells these old Fox shocks (although, I last heard Fox is recalling them).

Here are some pics of the original Fox shocks I had ordered but one front was defected (this is a pic of all four, but the two fronts are on the left of the picture):

Name:  20120516_101243.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  3.01 MB

Anyway, if anyone is in the market for a set of front Fox shocks, just wait until the new model comes out before doing anything. As for the rear Fox shocks, they are amazing!!!

Of note: When I had the front Fox shocks for that short period of driving (35 mins of driving), I have to say those definitely give a more stiffer ride than the Bilsteins. I noticed a huge difference in cornering/braking between the Fox and Bilsteins (not racing or anything, just saying).

Alright, thank you and good night!

Last edited by lovergoof; 10-23-2013 at 12:15 PM.