PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

flat black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:39 AM
Default flat black?

hello all, i have been contemplating on painting my gloss black h3 tactical flat black. I am an aircraft painter but i know it is more difficult than it seems, i have painted a few cars but i have been told flat black is not something that is very durable. But i have seen a few flat black that look great. What are your incites on flat black, is it easier than it sounds? Thanks

tom

Old 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Tom the removal of the trim pieces isn't time consuming at all, cover the wheels and take of the front grill so cover the lights...
Flat black when done right is low matinence.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 AM

If your worried about it you can plasti-dip it first. DAGKANA I beat you to posting up you work of art.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Haha! Jay no stealing my pics!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
Haha! Jay no stealing my pics!
HEY anything on the web is free for garbing!!!!! You don't want to see half the stuff I keep on my laptop.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:27 PM

How long did plasti-dipping the whole thing take? How many cans? Was it very difficult? How durable is it? How many coats? To many questions? I plasti-dipped my chrome fuel door about three days ago and it already has places in it and I did 4 heavy coats.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Two days. 12 cans. 6 coats. 4 coats of matte clear. Has held up very well. Couple of chips on rear fenders where the clear wasn't thick enough.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Wanted to paint all my plastic with it and got about half the truck taped and masked and got aggrivated and gave up.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by SolidJJ
If your worried about it you can plasti-dip it first. DAGKANA I beat you to posting up you work of art.
We all have different tastes...IMO it does not look right. This was a trend that overall was first brought out by race cars and was later implemented onto off-road vehicles etc...

I just never liked it...you're basically ruining the stock paint job on your H-Monster and i wouldn't recommend having something done like that unless it was a 10+ year no guarantee peel-free.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:21 PM

Like you said we all have different tastes. Not to try to force mine on you, however I did mine for a specific reason. The stock paint only made it a couple of months before I gouged it wheelin. The gouges were through the clear and the paint, into the metal in some areas. Rust was just at the starting point so I had a decision to make.

Sure I could have not wheeled it. But that's a moot point. I wasn't going to shell out a couple grand for someone to paint it and bring back the gloss finish just to ruin it wheelin again. So I toyed with a couple ideas and than came across plasti dip. The material is quite forgiving and easy to use. Im fully aware that it will prob need to be redone every couple of years. But again so did the stock paint, this atleast I can touch up on the fly and not worry about rust showing on a relatively newer vehicle.

The low buck cost is justified in my minds eye. I appreciate your input Oracle.

Quick Reply: flat black?