PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

FJ Cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:10 AM
Default RE: FJ Cruiser

I have had an FJ on order for two months with no current eta and I am getting sick of waiting!

I went to one of Toyota's FJ Trail Team events a couple weeks ago and had the chance to drive it off road in some pretty deep WA State mud, water, inclines, and over many stumps and rocks. It was unstoppable with their new A-Trac traction control technology, and was able to climb over some obstacles that folks with lockers were having difficulty with (probably lack of 4x skill).

What comes to mind first when you think of Toyota? Quality? Durability? Resale value? Trucks lasting Hundreds of Thousands of miles? I personally put 196k miles (zero problems) on an 85 Toyo pu and still sold it for $8k 9 years later.

Yes, the FJ is a new vehicle, but they are using all proven underpinnings: Tacoma V6 VVT-i 239hp & 272ftlbs engine, 4Runner V8 Trans, modified 4Runner Suspension, Europe's Land Cruiser Prado frame (slightly modified), with new unique body style; you love it or hate it.

I have come close to buying an H3 at least a dozen times over the last 14-16 months, however I just can't get over the lack of power and acceleration. This is where the FJ excels over the H3, the lighter weight (410lbs lighter) and additional hp (over the 220hp '06), hitting peak torque at 3700 rpm, really make a difference. The FJ can pull 500lbs more, has larger cargo area (+11 cu. ft.) and the other big consideration that can be felt (I'm 6', 250lbs) is the addition 4 inches of shoulder & 1.5 inches of hip room in the FJ. I want to 4x my next rig not pose in it, so if I do buy an H3 it's going to be a cloth adventure series with weather proof seat covers and rubber flooring. That being said you can notch the H3 down to $32k or so. For $29k I can get a fairly loaded FJ (if they can ever deliver) with a rubber floor (no carpet), water proof seating, greater fording capabilities (27.5”), rear lockers, A-Trac, auto trans (ordered with the 6sp Manual) along with cool stuff like rear backup sensors, 110V / 400W 3-prong AC outlet, MP3 aux port to plug in iPod, inclinometer, compass, and temperature gauges.

I am tired of waiting, but I am worried about the durability, quality, and craftsmanship of a GM product. I owned a loaded S-10 ZR2 truck in the mid-90’s that was nearly returned under WA State’s Lemon Law (but that’s another story) and decided then that I shouldn’t own another GM product...

I am interested in hearing the why’s for an H3? Is there decent performance mod’s out there to get the HP & torque up where it needs to be? How about bull bars or bumper replacements for winch options? Any decent suspension upgrades out there? I have zero plans of babying this thing and would love to out perform an FJ on the trail someday if I do buy an H3.

Oh yea, I test drove the Heep Unlimited Bubicon this week too, it's awesome in the mud but worthless on the street.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

The FJ is a great vehicle, don't get me wrong. The H3 lacks acceleration for sure, but you have to remember, the H3 is not a performance vehicle, but rather a ruggid tough durable machine. It isn't marketted to be a super-fast V8 5.7 supercharged powerhorse. I have a 5-speed manual, and I get decent mpg and acceleration, but my towing capacity is lower then the automatic, which I always found odd. You are right about the torque. It could use more, but as far as acceleration, the only bad side I can think of is lane-changing on the highways (which I do 234 times a day).

I think because there are so many SUV's out there that are marketted as being fast and powerful, that people assume the H3 is supposed to fall into those same lines and catagories of those vehicles. That isn't what the H3 is about. The H3 is about having a SUV that you can use as an every-day car (well, until the gas prices went up so high) and be able to take into extreme situations and not have to worry as much about damage as you would in a typical family-oriented SUV. I think people judge the H3 too much because it is compared to other SUV's, and not accepted for what it is. Of course it could use more power, and I'm glad they are going to have more options for that, but in the mean time, it is what it is, which is a durable, dare-I-say reliable (at least for me) vehicle that, even though doesn't have as much space or acceleration as it's competitors, is in a way, in a catagory by itself. I think the FJ, Jeep Wrangler and H1/H2 should be in their own catagory, maybe including the Xterra in there somewhere. The Commander, well, it is a durable off-road vehicle, but sure doesn't have that much ground clearance compared to the others.

Anyway, that's just my opinion I understand everything you are saying though.

Waiting two months for your FJ is definitely rediculous though, but I would wait a little longer. It will be worth it, don't you think?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:33 PM

Safe an FJ, Ride a HUMMER!