PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

first trail run with H3

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Default first trail run with H3

Finally some time to get away to learn the 4x4 functions in the 5spd H3. After tinting my windows (15% all the way around) I decided to drive up to the mountains and drive off road on some trails. Highways I was fine holding 65mph on cruise but off the highway when I had taken a long road that must've had a uphill grade I slowed down. On 5th gear the H3 slowed down to 45-50. I had to downshift to 4th gear to increase speed and hold. For that reason i'm considering to stick with the 285's or 305's because of the loss of power/speed traveling upgrade roads. Imagine with a set of 315's with my 3.5L
I also did find a trail and getting to know the H3 had taken more than a few washouts. I learned the Hi4lock Lo4lock (very low gears lol) and also used the rear locker in a washout climbing out. Next time i'll lower the tire pressure.
I can hear the transfer case engage for Hi4lock, Lo4lock but do not hear anything from the rear.
2 questions from this trip.
1) at one point i had trouble climbing out of a washout, the front of the H3 made loud clicking sounds? Is that how the differential works especially when I couldn't get up any further.
2) how am i suppose to know if the rear lockers are working since I hear no audbile sound from the rear. Is it suppose to be quiet? The rear lock light was solid and I am in Lo4lock (read the manual a few times) and did not see the light flashing to steady for the transition. It may have worked seeing that I got out forward of that washout with much more ease. (or I just got lucky, next time I'll have someone with me.)

It was just a short run to learn my 4x4 functions.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Great story