PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

First Time Electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Question First Time Electrical problem?

It's an '07 H3. Went out this cold morning (27 degrees) started the Hummer, getting ready to put it in gear when it stalled. First time it has ever done that. Try to restart, only cranks over, no fire. Turn it off completely, wait a minute or two, try again. It now starts, but with difficulty. Now, the wipers are on low, and I can't shut them off. They will go on high, but I can't shut them off. Also, I have no turn signals, no blower, no heat, the engine light is on, the traction control light is on, the message board says stability system need service. What the heck is going on here? I shut it off again. Wait a couple of minutes, try it again. Starts up fine now, but still can't shut off the wiper, and have no signals or blower, warning lights are on. I went back in the house to warm up. Went back out, checked the fuses that I thought might need checking, all good. I try it again, turn key on, blower comes on like normal, start engine, runs for about 10 seconds, blower goes off and wiper comes on. I shut it off again, wait a couple of minutes, try it again. Now all seems normal, but the engine light is still on. I am afraid to drive this thing. What is going on? Can anyone help me?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by cdobis
It's an '07 H3. Went out this cold morning (27 degrees) started the Hummer, getting ready to put it in gear when it stalled. First time it has ever done that. Try to restart, only cranks over, no fire. Turn it off completely, wait a minute or two, try again. It now starts, but with difficulty. Now, the wipers are on low, and I can't shut them off. They will go on high, but I can't shut them off. Also, I have no turn signals, no blower, no heat, the engine light is on, the traction control light is on, the message board says stability system need service. What the heck is going on here? I shut it off again. Wait a couple of minutes, try it again. Starts up fine now, but still can't shut off the wiper, and have no signals or blower, warning lights are on. I went back in the house to warm up. Went back out, checked the fuses that I thought might need checking, all good. I try it again, turn key on, blower comes on like normal, start engine, runs for about 10 seconds, blower goes off and wiper comes on. I shut it off again, wait a couple of minutes, try it again. Now all seems normal, but the engine light is still on. I am afraid to drive this thing. What is going on? Can anyone help me?
First thing I would check would be the battery and terminals.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Talking You were right!

RKSmith163,
You were right! I replaced the battery, which was the original, and all the problems went away! It was that there was not enough voltage left in the battery after starting the engine to keep all the other vehicle modules working. This happens before the alternator can kick in to help the battery. With a new fresh battery, everything is back to normal. That was really strange.
Craig